+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NZ Mud Snails

Default NZ Mud Snails

In by email from Jax in New Zealand:

I really wanted to answer a query about the N.Z. Mud Snail. Some one who fishes Lees Ferry asked about the Snails.

The only info I managed to get was from :- [url=http://www.esq.montana.edu/aim/mollusca/nzms/status/html.:1d577]www.esq.montana.edu/aim/mollusca/nzms/status/html.[/url:1d577] not sure you can publish it but you would know better than me.

Strange I had to go the U.S.A. to find out about a snail on my back door step. No Info here from Fish and Game. I have updated them"G" Regards jax

Thanks for the help LadyFisher. Seems I got it wrong again "Gloom" Jax

[This message has been edited by Jax (edited 22 March 2005).]
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

part of the reason there is so little info outside of the US on the snails is because:

since they are indigenous to new zealand, they have natural predators in their home waters, thereby reducing their numbers through the natural system of checks and balances.

the biggest problem with proliferation in the US is caused by a lack of natural predators in our waters, thereby allowing free growth and range for the little critters.

the last thing that i read about (around december/january this past) was that the various fish and game departments holding infected waters were looking into methods of limiting and, possibly, eliminating them from habitats. the only way to do that, currently, is to import one of the natural predators, which, ultimately, could cause more damage than good. at the moment, efforts are being concentrated on containment, rather than elimination.

this information is, obviously, second-hand at best. many of the US based FF magazines and the departments of fish and game websites have info which may be more current. i try to read all i can about them, because they are running rampant in many of my local fisheries.

Tyflier. Thanks for your input. If you have more up to date info, please give me a heads up via e-mail or better still post it here. Thanks Jax.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

+ Reply to Thread