+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pattern Search???

Default pattern Search???

I seen some time ago a pattern in a tying/fishing Magazine, a pattern called a "Neon Lion". I remember the author stating that he'd stumbled onto a Pa tyer tying this fly at a show and found it interesting enough to do the article...I remember it being tied with EMU and Colored beadchain eyes but thats bout all...can anyone direct me to tying instructions for this fly???
    I've searched my stack of Mags and have not found a trace of it,did searches here also with no luck...I finially have found the right source and obtained the EMU...lol..now I'm stuck without the pattern that I sought it out for.....any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Guess I'm not the only one who's stopped subscribeing to fishing mags,I'll have to check my stack of Fly Tyer in pa over the holiday weekend...can't wait saturday is a free fish day back home.....and boy do I need to get on some water BAD!!!!...with the kids and Fiancee,not much time for anything let alone fishing....worth a shot though.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Fly Tyer Summer 1999

I like tying with Emu. Would you be so kind as to share the recipie with us?

Thanks

Tim Anderson

Sure would,
    Frye's Neon Lion:Kieran Frye(orignator)

this is the basic materials list,The Lion can be tied to imitate a damsel nymph or nothing at all depending on color selections,Frye has even tied it for Steelhead.

Hook:2X-or 3X-Long nymph,sizes 6 to 10
    Thread:6/0 in color to match/comliment colors of other materal's
    Eyes:Bead chain...Black,Chartreuse,Orange,Silver,Gold.
    Tail:Marabou, Your choice of color.
    Body:Yarn or narrow chenille, your choice of color/colors for a veragated effect,(I think embroidery cotton would work well also)
    Hackle: Emu feather, your choice of color.

Hook point rides up like a clouser style,Emu is wound three or so turns directly behind the Beadchain eyes(From the pics in the article and the ones I've already tied) these are or can be some rather buggy looking flies...and will work on many species too...which is great for my fishing ...hope I've given enough info and detail....Only limitations are where your imagination takes you.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 02 June 2005).]

Thanks again Bill. Here is a picture of a fly that I thought up and have used for warm water fish with fair success. With the exception of the bead chain, it sounds allmost like the neon lion.

Tim
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Panman/BHEmuNymph.jpg:629e1]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Panman/BHEmuNymph.jpg[/url:629e1]

pretty close the tails are longer on the lion about 1-1/2 the shank lenth and the collar more sparsely tied with the Emu being about 1-1/2 the hook gap.and the yarn body (which must be a polypro) gives the mid section a very shiny appearance..hummm guess I did'nt really give as acurate discription as I'd hoped the first time..

For my own tying ,after buying an assortment of beads,trying a few flies with them.Find them not to my liking,I have and still do tie most of my nymphs with beadchain and like the look and action gives a side to side swim motion to most flies.
    When I'm seeking a more jig like appearance I'll use a bead on rare occasion.

wish you lots of fun outtings with the pannies,Bill

------------------

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

Bill

I thought your original description was more than adequate. I was mainly advancing another idea.

Thanks again

Tim

+ Reply to Thread