+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Bobbins

Default Automatic Bobbins

This year I switched to a Ty-Rite bobbon for the bulk of my tying and I think it works great (able to control thread tension much better). I'm experiencing far fewer thread breaks when tying. One thing I still struggle with is having to hand re-wind thread back on the bobbin in between tying steps. The automatic bobbins (Ekich and Nor-Vise) seem like they would aid tremendously. Does anyone use either of these? How do you like them?

A&W,

I have used (and still do from time to time) standard and Rite bobbins, but have pretty much gone to the Nor Automatic Bobbin. It does take some getting used to, but you can master it fairly well after a tying session or two. Slack take up is quck and easy and tension is controllered by placing pressure on the spool with the palm of your hand.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

i started using the norlander, liked it so much i bought five more. it really makes thread control so much easier. once you try it you'll never go back to a standard bobbin.

I tie with a Nor auto bobbin and I like it very much. It does take some getting used to, and care has to be taken when loading the spool or else all those poorly placed wraps of thread will come back to haunt you. I highly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 27 May 2005).]

I just got a Nor vice and bobbin, the bobbin does take a bit to get used to it, but once you do - look out! You will wonder how you did without. Highly recommended!!

Have fun,

George
    ggmiller

You don't have to reload thread for the Ekrich. Just pop the spool on and tie.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LF,

Is the Ekrich bobbin a cross between a Rite bobbin and a Norlander bobbin?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

A&W,
    After getting used to an auto-bobbin, you will seldom use a standard bobbin again.
    Too bad Norm isn't a sponsor.
    .....lee s.

For the difference in price, I'll load my own spools

Actually, I'm so cheap I didn't even pay for my Norlander bobbin. I had to win it

Sounds like most who have tried the automatic bobbins like them and wouldn't want to go back. Anyone who has tried them and not liked them?

I don't know if the convenience of not having to load thread on the Norlander spools would justify the price difference between it and the Ekich either. I like that they're a sponsor here, I do learn a lot from this site, but it's basically twice the price.

+ Reply to Thread