+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dog ate my schlappen, what should I do?

Default A dog ate my schlappen, what should I do?

My roomates new border collie puppy ate all my schlappen. Should I drive it out in the middle of nowhere for bear food, or forgive it?

Benjo,

Dogs will do what comes naturally. We, on the other hand, do what we do because we are able to understand situations, choose, make decisions, etc. If you had prior knowledge of a dog being in your room you should have put everything out of harms way. If you did not know about the dog, you might ask your roomie to split the cost of replacing the materials. However, if you do, you may lose a roomie in the process.
    By-the-way, I have 2 dogs and on separate occassions one has eaten the skin off of two Hoffman necks, a Whiting saddle and several chunks of deer. I should have learned after the first time but I just forgot to lock my stuff away.

So quick answer to your question is 'forgive it' and make sure you don't leave anything for the pup to destroy.

Allan

Benjo;

I know how you feel. I lost a #3 Grizzly Neck to my Lab when she was 3 months old. She left me about 50 feathers that will tie sizes 8-10 Wooly Buggers. Since then I have been pretty careful to put everything 'natural' away after tying. I was a bit upset for a few days though.

I say forgive and be careful. Oh, and train the pup that that is not appropriate behavior. Them collies are amazingly smart usually.

Don
    Don Rolfson

You can train them to not touch the stuff. My lab chewed up a few feathers when we got him. I scolded him each time I caught him with a feather. After three or four times he learned to not touch anything on my tying desk.

The real trick to teach them is to catch them in the act. They then very quickly relate to action to the punishment. Scolding them after the fact doesn't do any good - they don't know what they did to get in trouble.

[This message has been edited by TXBuzz (edited 12 May 2005).]

DRIVE DUDE ........DRIVE...................

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

One word
    Adobo.

Adobo nga aso, niemas talaga!

maybe just forgive it and train it.

I'm going to be in MIssoula this weekend should I give ya a call?

Have fun
    Paul

Forgive the dog, ask your roomete to pay for what his dog does (that's called responsability). If a roomate is lost in the process at least you are at peace with man's best friend then... you're even.

The more I know men, the more I love my dog!

Paul, it looks like some things may fish this weekend. I'm busy Friday but Sat or Sun I could fish.

We're trying to fish Sun and Mon...I'll call Sat. PM

Have fun
    Paul

Benjo... I guess you could "schlap" the dog... Sorry, I just couldn't resist the chance to say that.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

+ Reply to Thread