+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your ritual?

Default What's your ritual?

Was talking with an old friend last night about fishing, and come to find out this guy simply WILL NOT tie on a fly to his leader until he's at the spot he's going to fish. something about if you step into the water with a fly already tied on the fish will see it and refuse it the rest of the day.

Now I'm not at all superstitious and I think his take is hog wash but it got me curious if he's certifiable or if the rest of you have some kind of quirk along those lines when you fish?

Thanks for sharing that fly tied on bit!! Now I got something new to worry about! @#$% all anyway!

All I know is that black cats are bad, triple sixs are worse, and 3 hail marry's with a sacrifice to the fish gods is a good thing!

JC, feel free to send any of your jinxed rods my way. I will attempt to exorcise them.

Jay

Blog Entries

Its bad luck to take bananas on a boat . As a matter of fact some charter boats out of Hawaii make it a point of checking your lunch and absolutly will not let you bring them onboard . I thought the guide was pulling my leg but no joke . Bananas bring a tiny critter with them that attacks the wood . Even the Aluminum and Fibreglass skippers still hold to this one .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

That should read , even the skippers of Aluminum and Fiberglass boats . I did not mean to imply that some skippers were made of aluminum and fiberglass .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hey Tex,

I approach each fishing excusion as an
    opportunity to be outdoors in my favorite
    habitat, intent on making the best casts I
    can, pitting my favorite flies against a
    worthy adversary, and not at all dissapointed if he is victorious. Every day
    I get to play the game is a big fat check
    mark on the credit side of the ledger.*G*
    My only superstition reguarding fishing is
    "don't brag to a guest prior to the trip"
    or you'll find the fish have suddenly
    developed lock jaw.*G* Warm regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 19 March 2005).]

Atleast one Mule deer must be spotted between home and the river we are going to fish. Elk and Big Horn sheep will do if no deer can be seen.

Whoever spots the first deer, or elk, or sheep will have the best day of fishing out of our group.

The sound track from Oh Brother Where Art Thou (movie), must be listened to once. If this music is not listened to, mechanical failure is sure to follow while on the river (broken rod, leaky waders, dropped fly box).

I love that movie! Now I have the tune in my head - thanks

Now on the matter of superstitions, I gotta admit, we have a few of them.

Rule number one: (and friends who do not get the concept have a serious chance of being left on the side of the road for breaking this rule). Never and I mean NEVER, say the word "wind" in any context or any matter of speech during the trip to and whilst ON the river. This rule is in effect until the final rod is broken down and packed into the car. Every day someone has broken this rule - there is at LEAST a 95% chance the wind will be howling by mid afternoon.

Rule number two: When playing a large fish make NO mention of the word "camera" until the fish has been played out and is in the net. Attempts at getting the camera out to capture a fish that is fighting WILL result in you standing there with a stupid grin on your face - fingers on the camera - whilst your mate looks at you in disgust after the fish is gone.

Rule number three: Always approach the water in a neutral to negative fashion to ensure a good day. Things like, "this spot has never been good to me, and I have only landed very few tiny fish from here" will do just fine.

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:4e6ec]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:4e6ec]

My ritual is mostly: Call customer and say that the materials for the job will not arrive till Tuesday so no point in my being there till then. Circumstances beyond my control. "I'll see ya Tuesday".

Mark
    I wonder why I don't get repeat business. Must be the weather.Yeah, that must be it.

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread