+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Equipment as Checked Baggage

1. Default Fly Tying Equipment as Checked Baggage

Does anyone know of any airline checked-baggage restrictions that might apply to Fly Tying equipment and supplies.

Specifically restrictions that would apply to sharp objects (scissors, bodkins, hooks, etc)?

Or the organics (hackle, fur, etc)?

Or chemicals (glue, fixative, etc)?

Also, if anyone has any tips for effectively packaging their fly tying equipment for airline travel, it would be much appreciated....

mAngler

i dont know much about flight restrictions but JW Outfitters makes a very nice tying bag, i think William Joseph makes one also and possibly Orvis.

Renzetti sells a very nice padded bag for thier vises but it could probably also be used for other vises as well.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

This may help: [url=http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Prohibited_English_4-1-2005_v2.pdf:f771d]http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Prohibited_English_4-1-2005_v2.pdf[/url:f771d]

No sharp objects of any kind. No hooks, needles, scissors, clippers, etc.

Keith

I have flown many times with large lures and flies in my checked luggage with no problems. As for the TSA rules, they are interpretated very differently by all TSA security agents. And don't think you can read them the rules you printed online - it won't help - I have found that out firsthand.

Checked flies, hooks, etc should be fine. Feathers, furs, etc should be fine too unless you are flying internationaly. As for head cement and glue - I have no idea, but I don't think anyone would stop you for having a bottle of Sally's Hard as Nails.

No sharp objects are allowed in carry on's but for check bags you should be fine.

A friend of mine once told me he would send his fly fishing tying items UPS if he knew some one where he was going less likely to get lost and he wouldn't have to worry about what he could or could not take with him.

------------------
    Alex

mAngler,
    I'm sorry, I misread your original post. No restrictions on checked luggage. I have checked my fly tying kit in my suitcase many times without incident. I would suggest you put liquids such as head cement in a ziplock however, because with the change in pressures you can have a leak.

No sharps as carry-ons as in my original post.

Regards,

Keith

You can always send your stuff UPS, for pickup at the other end at one of their UPS Stores. Post Office has General Delivery Services, but you have to check which Post Offices have General Delievery Windows for Pick-Up, check the National Zip Code Book, at your local Post Office for General Delievery Service in the area you are going to, a Window Clerk can assist you in determining the proper address to place on the box (be sure on all shipments include a "FROM & TO" Address on the outside of the package, as well as a invoice on the inside of the package listing all the items as well as a "FROM & TO" Address.

~Parnelli

"Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 12 May 2005).]

Jim Slattery Guest

mAngler, I travel 2 to 4 times a month. There is no problem with fly tying Materials or gear in checked baggage.
    I had a close call just recently with my luggage. Apparently when they changed my destination city they put on hand written tags , which naturaly got torn off. I had to sweat it out as I had a large fly order in my bag and my Thompson "A".
    Fortunately I got them 2 days later.
    Just make sure your bag is tagged properly and you have your claim ticket.
    Hope this helps, Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:e12f9]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:e12f9]

10. Default

Thanks for all the input!

------------------
    mAngler

"Jack of all trades -- Master of none"

+ Reply to Thread