+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keep those backnumbers

Default Keep those backnumbers

A week or two ago I asked a question about a dry fly hook and received some very helpful answers, one especially from Mark Vendon about an article in the Summer 2002 'Fly Tyer', he offered to send me a copy, thanks Mark but as I said to him, I must have a back number somewhere. I did and it was very interesting, trouble was so was the rest of that edition and all the others I dug out. It is amazing how your view of a magazine article can change in retrospect. For the last couple of weeks I have been re-reading a lot of old magazines and find some real gems I casually skipped by before. Remember, everything written down has a value even if you think the author is full of it.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Hi Don,

I'm with you on the old magazines. I have Fly Tyer and Fly Fisher magazines from day one for each. Every now and then it's fun to look back over time to learn AND to see how things/ideas come & go. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:d46a5]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:d46a5]

I friend of my family had both parents die with in a coupls months of each other. Their son was devastated. In an effort to rid himself of the pain he got a dumpster and tossed. My sister rescued and circa 1950 fishing encyclopedia and a state of Wisconsin trout regulations book when they were still published in hard cover. In the margins and in the spaces his father had jotted notes, recipes, and logged excursion results. I told him if he ever felt the need the books were his as they would never leave my possesion. Some things are priceless.I love old books and Mags.Robb Howard

I don't know if anyone would go for this but over the years I have found that I could not come up with old articles I wanted or even remember them. So now after going through a magazine I tear out the ones I think I want and file them. I know this makes the mag valueless to anyone else but I keep the mag and if I want to reference it for something later I can.

Most of the articles are for patterns....but also techniques,fishing locations, etc. I also will print from the computer any patterns I'm really interested in from this or other sites.

So I end up with a file on certain types of flies and when I want to tie something I pull that file and see what appeals to me.

As has been said .."works for me".

My children have instruction to have the board members of my fly fish club go thru whatever the kids don't want. The club will make a fortune----one big garage sale

------------------

Bill

Bill,
    I like that....gonna do it.

In fact. I'm going to send them all a copy of your response right now.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 28 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread