+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Buz Buszek Award Winner?

Default 2005 Buz Buszek Award Winner?

The FFF Buz Buszek award is presented annually to that person who has made significant contributions to the arts of fly tying. This list of past award winners is most impressive.

1970 Jacqueline Knight, 1971 A.I. Alexander, 1972 Dave Whitlock, 1973 George Grant, 1974 Ken Bay, 1975 E.H. "Polly" Rosborough, 1976 John Schollenberger, 1977 Andre Puyans, 1978 George Harvey, 1979 Everett Drake, 1980 Boyd Aigner, 1981 Doug Prince, 1982 Darwin Atkin, 1983 Art Flick, 1984 Frank Johnson, 1985 Bill Blackstone, 1986 Billy Munn, 1987 Dick Nelson, 1988 Bing Lempke, 1989 Jimmy Nix, 1990 Kent Bulfinch, 1991 Wayne Luallen, 1992 Stanley Walters, 1993 Chuck Echer, 1994 Royce Dam, 1995 Marvin Nolte, 1996 Ned Long, 1997 Judy Lehmberg, 1998 Jeff" Bear" Andrews, 1999 Al Beatty, 2000 Bob Jacklin, 2001 Bruce Staples, 2002 Helen Shaw Kessler, 2003 Bill Heckel, 2004 Chris Helm

If you could, whom would you nominate for the 2005 award?

Uh... I would consider the tying community to cover more than merely the USA and take it from there

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hans:

I agree completely. That's why I am asking the question of this worldwide forum. If nothing else, it helps identify the large number of great tyers across the globe.

If I had a vote, I would nominate Hans Weilenmann. How about them apples!

As I recall, the person must be a member of FFF in good standing, (unless the rules have changed.) Do you know?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Here is the criteria direct from the FFF website:
    BUZ BUSZEK MEMORIAL AWARD - An award plaque presented annually to that person who has made significant contributions to the arts of fly tying.

A. Must be an FFF member.

B. Can be an amateur or professional. (This is a difficult area. What an amateur does out of sheer love and enjoyment, a professional must do to make a living. Nevertheless, it is often the professional who, through their skills, offers more to the advancement of the art. Therefore, it will be necessary to make some judgment on intent. Obviously, if the primary intent is to teach and share knowledge, it should merit serious consideration.)

C. Areas for judgment are: tying skill, creativity or innovation, and sharing knowledge by teaching or publication.

D. Advancement of the arts need not be on a national scale, it can be at local or regional levels.

E. Participation in the FFF is not a prerequisite, but any such activity as benefits the Federation should be highly regarded.

F. Achievements and contributions should promote the advancement of the arts and qualification should be superior to other candidates.

Since it is an FFF Award, it only seems natural that they would restrict it to an FFF member.

Blog Entries

Dang, LF. Leaves me out.

I think I'd nominate Al Campbell. He has taught tying likely to more tyers around the world than almost anyone. His lessons have been in hard copy magazines and here at FAOL. He has always been helpful to young & old regardless of their skill level and has promoted the craft wherever he has gone.

You have my vote Al!

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Ronn,

I second!

If Al is not at present a FFF member, perhaps we can sponsor him fast, before the nomination period ceases.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

AC is not a member. Sorry, and he would not accept membership as a gift either... he left over ethics.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I know but if anyone SHOULD get an award like that, it's Al.

I understand what you're saying too.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

+ Reply to Thread