+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MT Mongoose Vice

Default MT Mongoose Vice

Received my Mongoose. Wondering about the rotary. It does not have the same torque in the whole 360 degrees. Before I mess it up...anyone know a great procedure to set the torque? Tanks in advance.

"We'll sing in the sunshine......."

------------------
    Plain old Jim, I'm Plain...and I'm old.

Jim, I believe there is a break in period with mongoose vise. I do not know if that includes the tension or not. I have been looking at vises and narrow my choices to the Montana Mongoose or the Renzetti Traveler. While reseaching vises I come across a website that might be helpful or may provide links to where you can get info. Here is the website:
    [url=http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index25.html:283fd]http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index25.html[/url:283fd]

or here is the email Griffin:

griff@montana.com

Mine seemed to rub a little at first, but I disassembled the crank and swap the washers around until it felt better. After that and a break in period it seem to rotate just fine. I like to keep the tension fairly tight for most tying, them loosen the nut for free spinning when I need it.

Jim - if you turn the knurled knob on the far left of the vise in a counter-clockwise direction iot will loosen the rotary function and turn the vise smoothly - turning it back in a clockwise direction will tighten it. Cheers, Alec

Thanks for the help. ICW Mongoose over Renzetti.....pls take a very close look at the Peak. I read the review on the Mongoose at Fly Fisherman. Not entirely correct. Says the sleeve for the standrod, on the pedestal base allows for almost 2" of adjustment. NOT. The pic in the review is the base that I got with my Patriot. The pedestal base that came with the Mongoose, the standrod sleeve is not near as tall as the one in the pic. Just measured them. The Patriot Pedestal base standrod sleeve is 2 7/16" tall. THAT is what is in the pic in the review. Not what I received with the Mongoose. The Mongoose Pedestal Base Standrod is 1 7/16" tall. The height of both comes out to be the same. Just in the Mongoose that 2" vertical adjustment is not there. I do like the high jaws. In fact I place the C-clamp stand rod into the "pedestal" and then screw in the other standrod for max height. I do prefer the base shown in the Pic review at the website mentioned above....as I now have both, the one that came with the Patriot, and the one that came with the Mongoose. They are not the same. ICW rotation torque. The Patriot rotates with the same smooth torque throughout the entire rotation. The Mongoose torque is the same, say with the turning handle pointing straight down, and the same as you rotate it up to vertical pointing up. As you continue down the other side it gets lighter and I turn faster. I want a smooth, same torque througout the rotation for wrapping mat'l on the hook. I know it has washers and a review said it will settle in, in time. I just didn't want to keep turning it inward till I perhaps ruined it. Pls take a strong look at the Peak. I was nowhere near where I could put my hands on a Peak, and think if I could have, I would have gotten the Peak. It just didn't show as much adjustment capability as the Mongoose. I think iffen it had fit my hand good, I would have it instead. BTW I purchased my Mongoose through flytiers.com and am very pleased. $157.50 with no tax and no shipping charge. Just charged the $157.50 price it was listed for. Pretty good with all the attachments and accessories it came with. Also came with 7 small usable packages of sample fly tying material. A good deal I think.

Jim; I did take a look at the Peak vise. I did not like the way it fastened to the base. I chose the Renzetti Cam traveler. I wish I knew about flytiers.com sooner. the Renzetti is $10.00 cheaper there. I Bookmarked Flytiers, they have great prices on material.
    I think overall you got a great deal on your mongoose vise.
    Oh...I ordered my vise from Cabela's. I will let you know how this Renzetti works for me. I should have it in a week.

I have had my Renzetti vise for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. The hook does not move when it is clamped. It is easy to adjust and set up. It is the first rotary vise for me and the rotary feature is absolutely awesome!

+ Reply to Thread