+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ? for Hans

Default ? for Hans

I believe you once posted that Peacock Herl was Black under Water. Is this the same if the Herl has been dyed, say Red? Thanks, Jan

[This message has been edited by Pats Man (edited 11 March 2005).]

Jan,

Once the light wavelength which shows the refracted green disappears the black herl will start to look its own color (black).

When you dye the herl red, it becomes red. The herl will show red above water, it will show red below water until light goes. Refraction no longer plays the part it does on untreated herl.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

The change from dying India Blue Peacock herl any colour is minimal at best. Dying a black substrate tends to be lost in the "blackness". Now, if you bleach the herl and then dye it, it will show the dyed colour with the tan base. White Peafowl (a breed of it's own and not an albino) herl will be totally the colour of the dye since it is snow white. The problem with the white herl is that the barbules are tiny/short compared to the more standard India Blue Peafowl.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Thanks Guys. I just happen to come across some I must have bought a hundred years ago or so.

I was under the impression that Pea Fowl, was Guinea, is a Peacock also a Guinea, or Pea Fowl?

Pea Fowl:
    See- Guinea. Not to be confused with Peacock.

Guinea:
    The Pea-fowl from which come the black and white dotted feathers used in fly tying. Also, any black and white dotted feather from the Guinea or Pea Fowl.

Guinea Fowl:
    Wing and body feathers of the Guinea, Pea Fowl or Gallina, as also known, are black and white spotted. They are used in patterns as tails, shoulders, wing sections and legs.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 18 March 2005).]

Hi Steven,

Peafowl are a small group of birds that have become known as Peacocks. The male is the Peacock and the female is the Peahen.

Etymology: pea- (as in peacock) + fowl
    : either of two very large terrestrial pheasants (Pavo cristatus and P. muticus) of southeastern Asia and the East Indies often reared as ornamental fowls

The Peafowl, Pheasants and Junglefowl (Chickens) are all in the same family.

guinea fowl
    Function: noun
    : an African bird (Numida meleagris) related to the pheasants, raised for food in many parts of the world, and marked by a bare neck and head and slaty plumage speckled with white; broadly : any of several related birds

I'm not sure how close the Guinea Fowl are to the others. The reference books I have don't link them but the relationship may just be too remote. There are no Pheasants or chickens (Junglefowl) native to Africa and only one obscure Peafowl (Congo Peafowl) native to Africa.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Default guinea wings

I have been looking for some nice guinea wing feathers to use on wet flies. They seem to be hard to find as I have not seen any listed in my catalogs. I found one listing for guinea skins but the noted the wings were NOT included.

Doing a search here on the board turned up this topic and maybe some of you more knowledgeable folks will be able to direct me to a source of these quills.

Thanks

Bob

Robert T....just happened to see this yesterday....skroll way down

http://www.feather-craft.com/special_ed.asp

Thanks ducksterman. I did not look in Ed's Specials but did check the catalog.

Ordered the skin and got a bobwhite skin for soft hackles while there.

Thanks
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread