+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommend the best floating fly line

Default Recommend the best floating fly line

Friends:

I'd like to hear which brand/model is in your experience the best floating fly line and why.

Migs

depends what type of fishing you have in mind and what your target species are. ALso, what weight rods are you using. These variable are indicators. That said, I have noticed that many people use SA Mastery GPX and Cortland 444 Peach. I have several different lines including Orvis, Cabela's, Sage, Cortland, Masterline, and Aquanova. THey have ranged in price from over $50.00 to a mere $12.00. No special reason for most of them and I have yet to discern much of a difference when I cast them. Perhaps when I have been doing this for longer than 14 months I will notice something. The COrtland 333 has been around for a long time and many folks swear by it. You will get lots of opinions on this topic, but I think the three variables I mentioned are to be considered if you are on a serious hunt.

Buying a fly line because it does not cost enough has never occured to me. There is enough variance between brands to make a difference in the way they cast on certain rods. I have lines in all price ranges. I match lines to rods...just because a line costs $50-60 does not mean it casts well on every rod you put it on.

In my opinion the best floating lines on the water today are the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series of lines.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I dont have much expertise in fly lines due to I've only owned three different types but the best is my 2wt SA Mastery GPX. Very smooth and floats all day long. Its a bit on the more expensive side but well worth it!

6. Default

I like the Wulff Triangle Taper. Its easy to cast and lands quite delicately. It had a good price tag when I bought it as well.

-EOC

Most of my fishing is with a 5 or 6 wt line for trout. I was asking because I mostly use full sinking or tip sinking lines due to their being mostly lakes in my area. I did catch a beautiful trout on a dry, and I must say that this is a mystical experience when 99% of the catch is sub-surface. I saw the "rings of the rise", switched to a floating line, and BAM she took it. The line wasn't mine, so there the "why?" of this question.

Migs

I use SA Mastery GPX on my 3 and 4wt. Smooth casting line, very supple, and NEVER has any coils or memory, and has lasted well over 2 years (years of 100+ days of use)

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:49eef]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:49eef]

+ Reply to Thread