+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Think this will catch a Bronzeback?

Default Think this will catch a Bronzeback?

I'm sure it's not an original pattern.
    Went with a nymph hook to achieve the arched back look of a baitfish.Chenile for the body for a little less flash than say a Zonker.Rabbit strip instead of the wooly's hackle.Being a new tier I can't help but experiment.Like I said I'm sure it has been done a 1000 times by other more experienced tier's.But it's something new for me

Don't know about a smallie, but it should be a winner for LMB. Good looking fly, and one I might give you the satisfaction of duplication. JGW

3. Default

Ruger,
    I'd say yes!! Try a couple of different color patterns, brown, olive, or chartruese, and you'll have a local favorite.
    I used to tie a similar patter with a brown body, brown marabou wing and tail, and chartruese throat. It killed the smallie's.

Ben

Let me know how it does for you White43.

Great fly and from my experience anything that pisses them off will catch a smallie. I have always had good luck with zonker style flies on smallies; one of my favorite patterns.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

That one will work! I, for one, applaude your utter disregard for traditional baitfish patterns! I enjoy free lance fly designs. Is it a Finnow?

Rich

Fly looks great AND more important- like a natural. The majority of my Smallmouth Streamers are primarily Black. It would be a good fly for off colored water or night conditions due to silhoutte. I might have added a hackle to "push" some water if used in low visibilities.

My neck of the woods it's clear water,big bays.
    Tube baits and jerk baits are king when talking spinning gear for smallies.I feel the body of this fly mimics a tube.
    The rabbit hair, will perhaps protray some creepy crawly thing.Threw in a little marabough on the head to get a little gill action.
    Can't wait to see how it does.

Great Rabbit Bugger Ruger. It should drive them crazy with the action and the color.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Nice looking fly. I'd say it would catch alot of smallies here.

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread