+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite bobbin

The Norvise automatic bobbin (NAB) is half the price of the newest auto bobbin and it's superbly engineered. If I'm tying on my renzetti or regal I still use the NAB. The only time I pick up the old manual bobbin is when I'm spinning a bass bug with Kevlar.

Nor auto bobbin hands down! Price is affordable at $35. Design is great, no wobble as Hans mentioned. At this price I have three on my bench. The only slight inconvenience is the loading of the spools but it is a tiny negative and barely worth the mention.

All of the rest of my bobbins (Tiemco, Matarelli, Indian, Rite and a few others) just sit and collect dust.

In all fairness, I have not tried the Ekich bobbin so I can't evaluate it other than cost. I'm sure it is a fine bobbin and from the pictures I have seen, it looks well built.

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Mine is the Tiemco straight standard.

I suppose the answer to this maybe is so subject to individual variation that there is no good answer but....

How many bobbins do you think is reasonable to have loaded ready to go on the table?

I suppose we should consider price....

I love the Rite Bobbin, especially for Spiderweb...

------------------
    "Why not fish a dry fly?"

Duckster, I presently have 42

Mine is Tiemco straight ceramic tube bobbin and BT (Al Beatty) straight ceramic tube bobbin.

JC...$80.00 for a bobbin??? Whoa!!! I would have to sell my first born to afford something like that just to hold thread...

Hackletip

RE: Ekich Spool Wobble. I'm sure Hans didn't mean to cause a stirr..Ron cited the "wobble".

Well any wobble would be the result of a spool being out of round or mishapen. The specs on thread spools are loose. Therefore-on some spools the fit is not precise. In fact-you may bneed to deburr the spools to have them index correctly on the Ekich. Some may even need to be reamed-out with a drill bit to fit. That is the price to be paid for a precision tying device.

All Uni spools fit nicely-The Danville's need trimming and other brands may even fit loosely. Sway it goes...

Use of the Ekich Bobbin has a learning curve associated with it. It is a worthile endeavor IMO (and it ain't so humble )

Rich

I ask my #'s question above for practical reasons...at least for me... I'm finding it necessary to maintain a tying station in two separate localities.

I hate to thread bobbins repeatedly [I have 13]so I'm thinking of...

6-7 in each place...

or is say the Erich so GREAT, GREAT that it would be the only one you'd have on your bench...unless you won the lottery...

or gradually, like I did before, build the numbers up ...

or maybe 6 is plenty....

For heavans sake will someone make a decision for me...[G} {G}

+ Reply to Thread