+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in-line spinner

Default in-line spinner

I am working on a LMB variation on the plastic worm using twisted cactuse chenille. Took prototype to a local river thats open and all the blade wants to do is lay along the side of the hookshank. It spins freely by hand ,but not in the water. Tried to bend the blade to no avail. Any suggestions.

Hi Coach Robb,

I've tied that type of fly for some of my customers and I always put at least one bead in front and two beads behind the blade/propeller. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:a64e0]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:a64e0]

Try mounting the blade using a small barrel swivel bearing. This helps pull the blade away from the fly body and reduces friction.

I got my barrel swivels from Jann's NetCraft.
    I place one eye of the swivel on the hook shank between two small beads, the other end of the swivel uses a split ring to attach a small aspen or colorado blade.

They spin fine on many streamer bodies, even wooly worms.

Hey you guys,

After you tie these up do you use a spinning rod and reel?

For sure you'll need to use a few beads, a clevis and the right size blade for the speed of the retrieve or current. Netcraft has all the goodies even down to size "o". I make spin flies using a plastic clevis of theirs the blades spin pretty well. I favor the "Indiana" style blades, as they spin easier than the Colorados. Pretty sure anyway... Hope this helps.

Rich

ducksterman,I fell in love with fly fishing around age 40. SE Wisconsin is not the hottest place for stream flyfishing. Most of my fishing is done in ponds and small lakes from a belly boat. I teach the flyfishing and fishing merit badge for scouts and introduced the kids to fly fishing two years prior to there being a specific merit badge. At the risk of being defensive I think there is a place for all who care for the resource and passing on our passions. I still bait cast for Muskies, and use a spinning rod for Walleye. I've never met better people than fly fisherman to exchange ideas, and welcome new advocates.

I know Coach,

I just couldn't resist....wasn't being judgemental ...an attempt at humor...

I too have checked out Netcraft for some of the components mentioned ...for flies....and I do make my own spinners and have done my share of spinning and trolling...

My brother has a resort in Minn. and I can't get him to try flyfishing for pike ,etc. so we use his "bobber down " technique for Northerns.

I applaude your work with the scouts....

Coach Robb, I believe know what the trouble is. Your imitation worm probablly has dumbell eyes on it making the "fly" part of the rig a lot heavier than the spinner blade part. Try leaving off the eyes, but I'm afraid an in-line spinner is not the best combination for a worm fly. Think about the rigs of our lure/bait casting brothers and sisters. I've never seen an in-line or off set spinner rig for a worm. I'm sure they do exist but I believe the action would greatly suffer with such riggings. If you want a bottom bouncing worm fly with some spinner flash I might suggest a propeller with the weight before the propeller. I've add a crude drawing of the rig I'm talking about.

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me at: idabelangler@hotmail.com

I have a little bit of experience in making fly rod lures.

Mike B.

Coach, (et.al)

Just a note, ... on Quebec (and elswhere), spinning or undulating metal parts are illegal on Fly only rivers.

Depending on the regs in your jurisdications, such flies can't even be in the box stream side.

I have some weighted nymphs in a separate box, ... that way, when I load up the vest on a fly only river, I don't get illegal flies mixed in. I know I wouldn't be using illegal flies, ... it just makes the Game Warden's job a bit easier.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 11 February 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Final prototypes . . . what do you think?

[This message has been edited by Coach Robb (edited 20 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread