+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet Flies Wings

Default Wet Flies Wings

I'm tying up a new pattern of wet flies and my question is: Can I use saddle hackle for the wings (the color is orange) instead of a marriaged pair of goose? In the test flies my wings tilt to the left when I'm done tying? Any ideas?

------------------
    "Fly fishing and tying are a thoughtful pace for my soul".

Hi hoboflyfisher,

It sounds to me like thread torque is causing the wing to tilt slightly away from you. You could do one of two things. Tilt the wings toward you. When you apply thread tension they will tilt up straight. You could also use a pair of needle nose pliers to flatten the feather stems so they would be less prone to tilting. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:1f903]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:1f903]

If it is a traditional wetfly, I use matching duck quill fiber sections. Those "indian feathers" or multicolored duck feathers in the craft section or store are duck quills and cheap. I have to buy white duck quills elsewhere though. I just pinch the two sections together and aligning them on top (parallel) of the hook shank (shiny sides out and curvature down), then take one tight thread wrap down on the cut ends to bind them on top of the shank (sometimes several tries may be required for proper alignment, at least for me). Only after satisfactory binding do I release the wing. I guess practice makes perfect as the saying goes and the more I do, the easier it is. If I am out of practice, then its harder. The wing should be aligned with the hook shank or the fly may not swim straight. I would not use saddle hackles for traditional wetfly wings. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 18 February 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Thanks Al and Dixie. I'll try both of your suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread