+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you tie on a Mustad 37160?

Hans wrote:
    "worst hooking, Mustad hooks ever!"

Hans -

To what do you attribute their poor hooking qualities?

- Gary

------------------

"Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

Gary,

You asked Hans why he had that opinion of this hook. Obviously I don't yet know what his response will be but, FWIW, here's my $0.02:
    Looking at the hook, it seems that the space and angle between the point and the eye is too narrow. Whether this equates to 'misses' I don't know. I'm not sure if the specific shape of the hook matters as much as general appearance. I guess for those 3 reasons (space, angle, general appearance) I prefer a scud hook or putting a curve into a 2xl hook.

Jeff - Haven't fished for cats nor used that hook for baitfish patterns. However, the way you describe its use, it seems to be contrary to the purpose of its design.

Allan

As mentioned here, check out the thread on craw patterns. I use the heck out of this hook (maybe 'cause I have so many of them).
    It does a great job on swimming nymphs. I use them for stoneflies. Works great.
    By the way, I use this alot and have never had a problem with bad hookups or hooking through the eye. Just the opposite, I believe that this is fairly close to a circle hook.
    Frank Reid

I use that hook for my Klinkhammer patterns as well.
    Contrary to other opinions I find the hook-up to take ratio to be nearly 100% and can't remember loosing a fish after hook-up.
    It's effectiveness seems to me to be due to the offset point.
    In that size I use it for my Hexagenia emerger pattern, the only bug in this area big enough.

Peter

worms, emergers. I like this hook and tied a dozen beadhead emergers yesterday. They look great with ribbing and ostrich wound behind the bead. I also dubbed some bodies with dryer lint and they look great as well. Bet I catch fish with them. In my youth I caught dozens of pike using this hook and yes it is originally a bait hook. I noticed recently that a flyshop owner had a bunch of emergers tied on this hook and that is why I ordered mine from Hook and Hackle. They look nice and are fun to tie.

size 6 & 8 - how about a frog or crayfish?

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 08 February 2005).]

Hook proportions make or break the 'looks' of a hook. In my eyes the Mustad 37160 is an ugly hook. In your eyes, who knows

My only use for them, in quite large sizes, is to do wire worms for deep fishing on river floats. Not a favorite way of fishing, but on dog days they can rescue the fishing for sure!

The hooking characteristics, in smaller sizes, can only be described as mediocre at best in my experience. Unaltered the point of the hook is in the same line as the eye, so in conventional terms these hooks have a zero gape. Offsetting the bend makes for better performance, but looks are a lost cause. I much prefer more gradually curved scud style hooks.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Many years ago we used those hooks for egg flies and for the worm. I will not use them again. We learned the hard way that they hurt to many fish. I agree with Han's that they will hook fish in the eye's I have seen it many times. We quit using them and have had no further problems hooking fish were they should not be hooked. In fact I chucked all the ones I had in the garbage.

I think it has to do with the way they are formed. They roll in the fishes mouth causing the hook point to hit the eye areas instead of the mouth area. Nope If I had anymore of them you could have them gladly. Ron

I tie a caddis emerger/floater in a size 6 for the october caddis with it and love it. Keeps the wing and thorax flat while the body hangs down. I have not had any fish hooked in the eye, and have found the hook to hold rather well. Perhaps those doing damage to the fish were using them subsurface, even under an indicator. All of mine I fish on top, so the results could be different because of that. I am glad to know that my source of them is not in danger of running out!

Have fun, Jeff

I'm starting to wonder with some of the comments if we're all on the same page.
    The Mustad 37160 is mfg. with an offset point(kirbed?), not in line with the eye or shank.
    [url=http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/classic/class_37160.htm:53fd6]http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/classic/class_37160.htm[/url:53fd6]

I've also never had a problem with hooking in the eye or the upper jaw for that matter but I also only use them for dry patterns.

Peter

The hook does a nice hellgramite IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread