+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I started a joak

Default I started a joak

No really, I started an idea!
    That's right an idea about some hook manufacturer creating a jointed hook style.
    It should include hook sizes from 16 up to 8.
    The joint should occur about 2/3s on the shank.
    This would allow a free side to side swing as a natural would swim.
    Do you get my drift ?
    If a hook manufacturer would make such a hook.
    We, the ty-ers would then be able to tye any of the standard paterns in a "jointed" version.
    Amagin that!
    I say! If Rapala can do so can I.
    By Joe.

Um. . . you can already do that. It's called an articulated fly. There are several ways of doing it, I'll leave finding them up to you.

Just searched on that and only found the cart before the horse. Perhaps you misunder stood what I was asking ?

Dang, man think I should have put those college years to good use man, some way. You know what mean? It's like dang old hooks dont to bend like you want 'em. Dang!
    Guess I'm gonna have to start all over.
    Just tryin' to put ideas into someone's head.
    What do ya get for it ?
    Nothin' man, just like same old same old.
    Take an idea and run with it. (Boomhower talkin')

If you have ever stood on the bank of stream or river, and watched mayfly nymphs swim toward shore. You would know without a doulbt.
    If you could impart in anyway a simular movement in presentaion of your artificial.
    You would without a doulbt increase your hit ratio.
    Dont' take sientist to figure that one out!
    (Ok how do you spell sienttist, grubb help me out here!)

Gary Lafontaine beat ya to the idea by about 18 years or so. Check out his book Trout Flies Proven Patterns. Several flies he designed on the flex hook, hopper and a stone. I think Tiemco even made the hook for a few years, but you can still buy the attachment to make a standard hook into a flex hook here [url=http://www.thebookmailer.com/Supplies/FlexHooks/flexhook.html:02a15]http://www.thebookmailer.com/Supplies/FlexHooks/flexhook.html[/url:02a15]

I guess i did misunderstand you because to me it looks like you are describing an articulated fly i use them for big marabou bass flies but i think there is a nymph that uses it also

And its scientist or is it sceintist wait that cant be right is it i before e except after c wait what was you question again. ah skrew it.

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

Smokytrout, that's close to what I was thinking of if you trim both ends very close and bend them back tight so they are small as the original hook eye. You may have to work in half scale to get the right "body" length, unless they're using short shank hooks to go with them.

Bass_angler_04, what smokytrout found was close to what I had in mind.

Jeffie,
    I didn't mention this before since I thought in one of your original posts someone had. Gary LaFontain [hence the reference in the post above] sold jointed hooks that I suspect are just what you a referring to. Whoever has taken over for him I think still offers them. I can't think of the name of their mailer right now. I'm sure someone knows and will respond.

Oopps,
    Somehow I missed Smokeytrout's post and others right after it...it was covered.

fishbum, I've searched through some of the Waddingtons all I found were soft wire extenions that you have to fabricate yourself. They or even some other hook maker may very well have what I'm looking for but I have not see it yet.

If you take two short shanked streight eye hooks before they are tempered, interlock them to each other at the eyes. Cut off one of the two hooks just at the bend. Form a new eye at the cut off end. Temper the combo.

+ Reply to Thread