+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocals?

Default Bifocals?

I am farsighted and usually take my glasses off for tying as I have little problem seeing up close - until recently. Having reached 43, the ol' peepers aint what they used to be, and it appears I'm probably going to need bifocals. Does anyone have any feedback re: bifocals? I don't want to have to sit at the tying bench with my neck bent at some obtuse angle in order to see the vise... would I be better off getting a second prescription for up close work? Any feedback is most appreciated.
    Thanks - Alec

flytackle,

Know about your problem, I am 52 and have bifocals for about 8 years. Work closely with your eye doctor.

I have bifocals for my computer work, sometimes take my glasses off to read, and use a magnifier headband to tie small flies.

Chances are that two pair might be the thing depending on your needs. Have you considered a pair of department store half glasses for reading, to tie with? Less than $20 and work well for many.

Hope this helps,

baldmidge

There are several different brands of lenses marketed that allow for variable distance focus as you go from one spot to the other, usually distance at the top, mid-range (computer) just below the middle, and reading range toward the bottom with no lines in between. Your optometrist can specify where the transition occurs based on your needs. These are great, once you get used to them (day or two for most people). They do cost more, of course.
    -AJM

Blog Entries

the thing to do is talk to the eye doctor, tell him exactly what you are up against. "I tie flies and want to continue to do so comfortably" The doc will want to know how far away you'll be from the work and maybe a few other things.

Then they'll be able to work out whether one pair can do it all or if you'd need a second pair of specs.

Ask me how I know....

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:047fd]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:047fd]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

flytackle:

I have the same problem you do, I went and had special glasses made for my computer work, I am on a computer 12 to 13 hours a day. But I never worked out the proper glasses for tying. But this head strap magnifer works great, it is not the exact model I bought but mine was 35.00 this one is very cheap. I used two like it before I found the one I have now. But these work fine... I suggest finding one that you can use with out your glasses. Much more comfortable.

[url=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38896:dc06b]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38896[/url:dc06b]

Talk to your eye Doc and tell him the distance that you tie at.

I am one of them and I use my no lines at the vice. they work great.

Also have another pair that I set up specifically for tying.

Rick

I have worn glasses all my life, I have what is called an astigmatism or as they say in my local dialect, cockit e'en.
    In my forties I started with the usual reading problems and got a pair of bifocals.
    They were fine for most purposes but I found I was getting a stiff neck when fly tying.
    As I have to change my specs every 2 or 3 years, the next time I mentioned my problem they gave me a pair of fly tying(reading) specs for free along with the new bifocals.
    I have been using the same pair of fly tying specs for about 8 years now, I stepped on the last pair, blamed the bifocs but nobody believed me.
    I use a magnifier lamp,with a 'daylight' lamp, as well for any very small work.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland

[This message has been edited by Donald Nicolson (edited 03 February 2005).]
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Alec,

You can usually buy a pair of 'close' glasses in your prescription for a reasonable price. Bifocals aren't the ideal for 'tying glasses'.

However, before you do that, check to see if ALL you need is some extra magnification. I've always needed lenses for 'distance' things like driving, etc., but until recently my close up vision was fine. Hit the big 40, and started to notice that I was having trouble tying knots on the water, then seeing stuff well at the bench.

Ran to the eye doctor, convinced I had some strange and incurable malady and was going blind.

He looked at me, AFTER the exam, and said "nothing wrong with your eyes, you're just getting old. Go buy a cheap pair of magnifiers for your fly tying and see if that does the trick".

Worked for me. I did go through several pair at around $3-$7 each until I found the magnification and frame fit I liked.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    Tie flies beyond the resistance of mortal trout!
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Being a "Frugal Minnesotan" (sounds better than Cheapskate), I use Drug Store Cheater's at my Fly Tying Bench. These are those reading glasses, you can find near the Pharmacy Section, for about $9 or $10.

Just take a fly with you and hold it out at the distance it would be at, when you are tying at your vise. This way you can check the focal lenght of the different lens strengths.

I also have a set (different strength) for my computer, as my bifocals, are a pain to use when on the computer.

~Parnelli
    "When a Minnesotan goes on vacation he puts on a new pair of jeans, places $10 in the back pocket, and changes neither the whole time he is on vacation!"

Progressive "Trifocal" lenses and a using a Giraffe Lamp/ magnifier will do the trick. 100% effective.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread