+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: painting lead eyes

I use a comb also. I hold it steady with a clothespin on each side.
    For paint I like fabric paint for the base with a dot of nail polish for the pupal.

When I use up my stock of lead eyes that I have now I will no longer use them. The don't seem to hole up as well as the nickle type eyes.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

There's a powder coat out for plain jig heads. You heat the lead jig head with a lighter or candle and dip it in the powder it then melts to the lead head. Nice glossy hard finish. Very tough stuff! Hmmmmm!! would it work??!!

------------------
    Cactus

CK: I use Model Master enamel which I got from a hobby shop. I think Testor's would work too. It produces a bright shiney finish. First paint the eye white and then use a tooth pick for the black pupil.

I just finished painting ~100 varying sized lead eyes and I used the "comb" method. I purchased a package of various sized combs (8-10 combs)from the Dollar store for $1. I spent ~15 minutes inserting the eyes into the tines of 3 combs and then I spray painted the eyes. Using a piece of string tied to the combs, I hung the combs/eyes up to dry. After drying and while still in the comb, I painted the pupils with a dowel sized to the pupil size I desired. After this dried I again spray painted the eyes with a clear protective coat and hung them up to dry.

This whole exercise took ~ 1 day considering the time allowed for drying. Actual work time was 15 minutes to insert the eyes into the comb, 5 minutes for each spray paint job and 15 minutes to paint the pupils. So the total time spent on the job was ~45 minutes.

Hope this is helpful.

+ Reply to Thread