+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sow bug

Default sow bug

thank you all for assisting me with the multicolored globall

now can someone please tell me where to find instructions on tying a sow bug

thank you in advance

Daffy... I have about 3 different versions I tie. Pretty basic and easy. How much in detail do you want to get?

Mike

------------------
    You can observe allot by watching....

Yogi Berra

Daffy, on the left side of the FAOL window is a link to Fly Tying. Click it and then click on Fly Archives. Then do a search for sowbug. Al Campbell put up a tutorial on it on April 27, 1998. It's excellent. Happy tying.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I was going to chime in but MadDog is very much in the heart of Sow Bug country. He is probably an authority.

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

Diane or anyone,

"Daffy, on the left side of the FAOL window is a link to Fly Tying. Click it and then click on Fly Archives. Then do a search for sowbug"

Once you are in Fly Archives is there a way to do a search other than having to scroll though all the flies?

There sure is. Built into the browser. Click in a 'blank' spot in the list of flies to make sure that you have selected THAT frame, then choose Find from the Edit menu (This is if you are using IE), type in what you are looking for and hit enter.

Have fun!

Don

Here is the link: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/4498fotw.html:885b2]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/4498fotw.html[/url:885b2]

[This message has been edited by drolfson (edited 13 January 2005).]
    Don Rolfson

Like Maddog I have several Sowbug patterns, but basicaly anything that is gray, flattened and has the dubbing picked or Ostrich added for legs can be effective. Size 14-18, fished in the gravel.

Daffy... sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just got off the road from a 3 hour drive one way to help a buddy do a tying lesson for some high school kids.

1. Grey mohair yarn and a bead head hook. Wrap the mohair forward while you stroke the fibers back. Build up a fat body and you're in.

2. Grey/Dun ostrich. I weight a hook fairly heavily. Wrap your thread through the lead and coat both the lead and thread in super glue. While the glue's still wet, take an ostrich herl tied in and the bend of the hook and palmer it forward. The superglue is ctitical since ostrich is so fragile.

3. Wapsi makes a dubbing called Sow/Scud dubbing in umpteen different colors. Tan, olive, black and orange will work as does grey. Pretty much the same way as the mohair and ostrich. Weight the body, build up a fat body and wrap the dubbing forward.

Basically anything grey will work. You'll see allot of things added to the patterns that more often than not are there to catch fishermen and not fish. You can add tails and shell backs to the pattern. All the shell back is could be made with the plastic from a sandwich bag. I have had better luck tying a strip of backing on by tying that on to the shank first, then add the lead and then the body. The case should be hanging off the bend of the hook. When the body is done, pull the case up over the body and tie off. Ribbing this is pretty easy. I leave about a 4-6" tag of thread back near the bend. when the back is pulled over the body, I counter wrap the rib. By that I mean I tie the rib in the opposite direction that I tied the body. Being a right handed tier, I wrap the body away from me. So in this case, you'd take the tag of thread and wind it towards you in about 3 evenly spaced turns to the eye, tie off and clip.

These flies can be tied weighted or unweighted. With a beadhead or without. Your choice.

I know there's allot here that may not make sense. If you want any other info, e-mail me. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Mike

------------------
    You can observe allot by watching....

Yogi Berra

[This message has been edited by maddog48 (edited 13 January 2005).]

Don't forget to try a Ray Charles. Nothing could be easier to tie.

On the Bighorn, we live and die by the sow bug and Ray Charles.

The Bighorn Sow Bug is either pink or natural, tied on a #16 or 18 straight or scud hook consisting of a slightly tapered dubbed body and a gray hen hackle tied in at the eye. It is one of the easiest, deadliest flies you will ever tie.

If you want to see a pic, just drop me an email.

------------------
    "My fondest memories and friends will be forever bound to my heart, with the waters I have fished." D.G. 1992

www.wolfmountainfly.com

+ Reply to Thread