+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly demo

Default Fly demo

For a demostrative speech in my english class, i was going to demostrate how to tie a fly. I was going to do a 1/0 woolly bugger or something else. It needs to big large enough for like 20 people to see and take up 4-5 minutes. Whats you opinion for a fly i should tie?

Thanks in advance,
    -Zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

Max,

Good topic. However,if you are limited to 4-5 minutes you may not get done within the alloted time. Might I suggest you do away with the actual tying but show the fly in each of the several stages of completion and describe what you did to get that step completed. For example, a hook in step 1 would be the hook with thread wrapped along the shank. For step 2, the hook would have the tail tied in. Hook 3 (step 3) would have the tail, the rib and the body tied in. Hook 4 (step 4) would have the tail, body and wrapped hackle tied in and the ribbing wrapped to the head. Step 5 (hook 5) would be the completed fly with a nicely finished lacquered head. I'd also suggest using easily seen colors and make sure you have a good background so your audiance can easily see the fly.

Good luck.

Allan

I see what you are saying but i have to "describe the steps as you are doing them". I tied up a #6 bugger and did it in 4:15. If i have all the materials prepared and at hand i think i will be able to make it in the alotted time. But i forgot about the background, i guess ill bring along my profile plate. What i really wanted for a response was more of flies i should tie. Thanks alot,

-Zac

------------------

Zac,
    Another option, if you have the capabilities, is to take digital pictures of the fly at different steps and set up a powerpoint that could be seen by everyone. Have someone else step the computer through the steps of the powerpoint while you are doing the tying in front of the group, which will be fairly hard to see no matter what size you would be doing. Talk through the steps of the tying as you do them, and your audience will be able to see the results on the screen.
    A wooly bugger or a wooly worm would both be fairly large flies to use, plus fairly simple and fast to tie in front of the class. Another choice might be a pearl marauder. Have all of your materials precut and laid out on a cardboard next to you for speed and efficiency.
    And as your teacher has probably already told you, practice, practice, practice.
    Good luck.
    CJ (another teacher)

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

You should be able to tie it in the alloted time, no problem. Just make sure you can tie and talk at the same time. Practice giving your talk while you tie and see if that makes a difference. Also plan for contingencies such what if someone asks you a question? Try your presentation out on some friends first.

------------------
    Ron M

And remember for demo purposes you can tie on much larger hooks so they can see...you're not going to fish it.

I was going to use either a 3/0 hook or a 4/0 that i use for catfish and mabey some big yarn instead of chenille. Another thing i just came up with was to set one of the nice computer cams we have at the school then project the image with the projector. I just need to practice tying with a camera, ive seen some ppl tie on tv that block the camera and you cant see a lot of things.

Thanks alot,
    -zac

------------------

I've watched a lot of tying at expos with tv augmentation....that would be excellent .... you are correct in practicing... but I note at expos it must be complicated enough that they didicate a person to take care of the logistics...but again if you can do it GREAT!

Bass, I add....that is a wonderfull topic!

Bass - good idea you have to keep it to the simplest fly you can, keeps explanation to a minimum. I once saw a guy do one on how to put on a band aid strip but it became so complicated when you break it all down it wasn't funny. A bugger would be great. (Funny name too should help!)
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread