+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blank "blanks"

1. Default blank "blanks"

I just bought a sage xp blank; and one would think that a "blank" would be well, blank. Maybe thats just me. Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone knows how to remove the lettering without damaging the graphite.

Why would you want to do that?

Blog Entries

It would seem to me that most of the value in a homemade rod is in the brand and model of the blank, If you decide that the rod just isnt for you the name of the blank will be its only selling feature. For that reason alone I would want it on there. But then I haven't built or bought a home built rod, am I off base?

Just wondering

Eric

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I have heard that removing the label will void the warranty with Sage. I am with you on the aesthetic issue, though.

Call Sage. Ask about the warrantee and how to get their name off. Free call.

I had the same problem with a Cabela's blank. Big oversized logo which was ugly as heck. For a $30 blank I was not too concerned about warranty issues, I just don't like to look like a walking billboard covered with someone elses advertising.

This was a silk screened label and short of sanding the thing off I found no way to remove it. Some elbow grease and 200 grit wet/dry paper did the trick but left an area of unfinished blank.

I was able to cover the offending area with a hook keeper and few decorative thread wraps. A thin layer of perma gloss finish over the sanded area restored the luster.

JC, Eric,
    some folks, myself included, feel that a nice hand-written label adds a touch of class above factory block letters, and is one more perk of building your own.

X.P., instead of removing the letters (which may void the warrantee), just wrap thread over the lettering. This will make a nice base to apply your hand-writing or custom decal. If you ever need to apply the warrantee, just cut the wrap off.

+ Reply to Thread