+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epoxy a No No

Default Epoxy a No No

I was just curious as to why a flex epoxy is considered taboo on the wraps of a boo rod?

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Rook...I'm not sure either but I suspect its tradition. I think epoxy is a late comer to wrap finishing and varnish holds up very well on wraps....I have a 50 year old SB and the wraps are still going strong.

Thanks Buzz,

I was wondering if it was tradition but I don't have much background in this. I really couldn't find much in trying to research it either.

Thanks again

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

It is tradition primarily more than anything else. Besides, properly applied varnish gives a really nice look and avoids the mass often left by using resins like epoxy. I really truely believe that if the old masters would have had access to epoxy type materials and they were better, they would have used them.

I've broken from tradition a few times with no ill effects...And the rods action and such are just fine...Just some thoughts..It can be fun hauling an old production rod you are building for fishing's sake into the light of present day!!

Unless the rod is being built as an Heirloom I see no reason's of not doing as your heart desires...Enjoy the build and the rod that it brings forth!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Using epoxy is also considered a non-no in the furniture restoration trade. This is because the traditional hide glues are 'reversible' while the epoxy is not.

If you think you might be passing this rod on to your grand kid's it's likley it will require refinishing at some point. The Spar varnish will strip more easily than the epoxy.

Rookie,

Varnish is the traditional finish in what tends to be a very traditional craft. It also gives a wonderful low profile build up that epoxy (applied in the usual way)doesn't. However, for what it's worth, I have made many rods with epoxy coated wraps. These are offered on my basic "Guide Series" rods for folks who are more interested in cost and durability and basically are more interested in fishing than collecting. It allows me to keep the price down because it is so much quicker to finish a rod this way than to do proper varnish wraps (like you'll find on all of my other series of rods). Removing one of the epoxy coated guides in the future is really no big deal and of course the rest of the blank is dip varnished. You'll also find these epoxy coated wraps to be much more durable than the more traditional varnished wraps. So... at least here's one rodmaker that won't give you any grief about it if you should decide to choose function over form.

Good luck,
    Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:20fa2]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:20fa2]

Oh...one point here did not really dawn on me till I reread this.....I was referring to the thread wraps when using epoxy....Not the entire blank......A quart of Helmsman Spar is relatively cheap and will go a Long, Long way!!! For the blank I always use spar..wraps are a different animal and you still have the spar as a base under the wraps as the epoxy will never be in direct contact with the blank!! Later stripping and maintenance is inevitable...and Spar is definitely easier to remove...May be quite some time till restoration work is needed but when it is...It's nice to know it will go easily!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread