+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting concept

Default interesting concept

...of seemingly transparent wraps on bamboo, and what effects it may have on building glass or graphite as well...

Thanks to Ron Kusse for the inspiration, hope I can perfect it as well as you have.

Leo,
    Can you expand on the technique if you have knowledge of it or tried it. I've tried but did not fair well. Some areas became clear and other's became opaque especially areas where the tag ends were under the wraps causing just a little air pocket.
    R. Kusse is a master of this art is evidenced in your pic.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Quinn,
    I read a few threads on some other posts about this process and have used it in the past with success on darker colored threads but they were always colored to the tint of the thread. This wrap is using a very light yellow silk that when the varnish was applied became almost transparent. They say that white works best for this effect. Too, instead of lightly coating the wraps, they are saturated while on the drying motor, rotating, and that helps to keep the threads both moist and completely covered until it is very nearly dry. I love the effect it has, and what you cannot see in the photo is how the ferrules looked treated that same way, it is a very cool look.

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 27 May 2006).]

I think sometimes the 'secrets' of the masters should stay just that. They are part of the make up of a master. That some secret or bit of wisdom may die with the master may be how things should remain. If the master shed all of his wisdom and methods he would no longer be unique. If through years of hard work and dedication he discovers materials or methods which set him apart, I see no obligation for him to 'share' anything with anyone. It is just as wrong to ask a chef for ingredients as to ask a rod maker for proprietary information. As it is rude and in appropriate to ask a person how much money they have in their bank account, how many sections a cattle rancher owns, what is in a veal dish, so too it is wrong to expect rod impregnation or wrap coating information.

However JC, a master usually had an apprentice to be able to pass along traditions to keep them from dying. This was done in most arts, however, limited to few individuals or apprentice's.

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Quinn - Chris Carlin, another great maker, put together a tutorial on transparent wraps for those interested in a step by step with pics - it's usable for both bamboo and graphite. It can be found here: [url=http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7286:44b99]http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7286[/url:44b99]

Kelvin

Kelvin

[This message has been edited by KRC (edited 27 May 2006).]

JC,
    What value is there for tutoring, education, apprenticeship, written instructions, or even recipes (food or fly patterns) then I ask?
    I'd hate to think what my Tae Kwon Do teacher (he was US Army stationed in Korea 70s) or his teacher (ROK Army) would have taken to their grave if they didn't impart their knowledge onto a few respecting students of the art: patience, honor, perseverence, character, commradery and even some defensive skills.
    I recall being able to get in a good direct kick into the mid-section of my teacher one time; he immediately responded likewise which sent me back 8ft. I was not harmed with his technique but I knew what I could accomplish from what he had taught but also knew exactly who was the master.
    In this case I know exactly who the master rod-builder is and fully acknowledge that in my inquiry.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 27 May 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

Kelvin,
    After 10 guides, 1 tip, 1butt section and 4 ferrule wraps (16 attempts), I was able to get 1 decent clear wrap= pretty darn poor result. Your reference link of Mr. Carlin's fine work and instructions gave great insight. Thank you.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 27 May 2006).]

I've done this on bamboo and graphite using a heated mixture of spar varnish and walnut alkyd for the first two saturating coats (on thin silk)--also makes colored silk and nylon thread translucent. To me, transparent varnishing is relatively easy. The hard part, beyond working with very fine silk, is getting the guide feet exactly the same length and shape, lined up perfectly, and making sure blackened guide feet stay black, since all the work that is ordinarilly obscured by colored thread is fully visible. Ferrule tabs are not exactly fun, either. You really have to do perfect work to pull this off--this is a master's technique primarily because it displays extreme attention to detail (or lack thereof).
    -CC

Many things are not patented because they would reveal how something was actually done. I can't believe you guys think everyone should tell you exactly how to do things.

+ Reply to Thread