+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass rods

Default Fiberglass rods

I have an old Phillipson fiberglass that I enjoy fishing form time to time and recently while visiting one of the local fly shops, I happened across a diamondglass rod that had a spectacular feel too it, really got me thinking about a post on here some time back by Rich Margiotta on a fiberglass rod made in Pennsylvania by Mike McFarland. Then some few days later, someone actually posted a picture of one of Mike's rod in a thread I had started on agate stripper guides, and I knew then that I had to see one of these rods, or get a blank and build one.

I contacted Rich and he gave me a lot of information on Mikes rods and the next thing I knew, I had a McFarland Spruce Creek blank on my bench. Well, to make a long story short, I have to admit that after building this rod and casting it, I may have stumbled onto one of the best feeling rods I have had the pleasure to cast. Hopefully, I will get to fish it next week when I take a few very badly needed days off and hit the streams of East Tennessee. Thought I would share a couple of pictures of a nearly finished 8' 5 wt, 3 pc. McFarland Spruce Creek blank, and built using Mikes presentation reel seat, cigar grip, and a nice agate stripper guide. I built it using more bamboo building techniques and it is turning out pretty nice. I can see plenty more of these in my rod building future.

that was me. I bought a McFarland 3 wt. that Rich made. You are correct - they feel really nice in the hand, they are gorgeous and a pleasure to cast with. I have three glass rods.

Thank you for posting that Gardenfish, you have given me another "addiction"....

This rod is so smoooth....sure does cast nice with sylk

Leo,
    You amaze me! Your wrapping work
    is gorgeous. We are not worthy-
    bow, bow, bow .
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Absolutely lovely rod. For those who can't build their own, JC did a review last year about another fiberglass rod, the Hardy Perfection. Again, so very smooth...very surprising.

For a little trip down memory lane, I do remember casting a couple of Russ Peak fiberglass rods back in the 70's. They were a fast, powerful rods, with a lovely finish - they called them Zenith rods I think.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Leo,
    As always, BEAUTIFUL work!!

Quinn,
    One of these days, I will contract Leo to build one of those babies! BTW, if you can make it to the Michigan Fish-In this August 14th to 20th, Leo will be there. I will also extend an offer for you to fish my 1942 SouthBend bamboo that Leo restored for me. It is like holding a small piece of Heaven....the man is truly an artist!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Wow! Great Job! Woulkd you mind posting that over at Fiberglass Flyrodders? The guys over there would love to see your work I'm sure. [url=http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders:c8b57]http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders[/url:c8b57]
    Cheers, Alec

Thank you all for the kind words. I just find fly rods to be a thing of beauty and I guess my point is that we all get hung up in a particular kind of rod sometimes and often forget the fact that there are other options out there that we may enjoy just as much.

LF, a Russ Peak!! that would be like owning a Kusse rod! wow, that is the epitome of quality and perfection and if you can ever find one it is a rare and valuable find. Now there was a true master craftsman for sure. I think there may be a few of those craftsmen around out there today that fall into the Russ Peak, Ron Kusse class that share their love of fly rods in the manifestation of their talents.

Not a lot of people have heard of Mike McFarland but those that have would marvel at his creations. If you get a chance, go to his site and look at his work... [url=http://www.McFarlandRods.com:844c5]www.McFarlandRods.com[/url:844c5] Outstanding workmanship.

Wow! That is a beautiful rod. Gives me some hope for my project. By the way, did you know that you can still get Phillipson rods, blanks and components?

Rick's Rods in Denver bought out the old Phillipson stock and is still producing them. I am currently putting together a 'Swamp Rat' blank, but after seeing your fine work I may change my color scheme from the origonal.

A link to Rick's Rods...
    [url=http://www.ricksrods.com/:0763d]http://www.ricksrods.com/[/url:0763d]

Hi Kengore,
    Thank you for the compliments, I appreciate that. Maybe by the time I retire I can have the finish process down good enough to compete. Guess I will sign up to be a sponsor on FAOL!! That is almost as exciting as building rods! yes there are a few sources for the Phillipson blanks in old production. Another on that is surfacing a lot is the Fenwick Feralite, I have seen a few of those blanks lately too. I am getting ready to order another of those spruce creek blanks, I can't get over the feel of it. Rick bought out all of the old production and the equipment too as far as I know. I think he is trying to sell the beveler and some of the boo stuff too. I didn't know he was making the fiberglas though that is pretty neat!!!

+ Reply to Thread