+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone try the Forecast 7 1/2' 4wt in 5 pc?

1. Default Anyone try the Forecast 7 1/2' 4wt in 5 pc?

This looks interesting for a pack rod to small streams. I'm interested in the action - I like a more medium action in these smaller rods. I do NOT like the 7 1/2' 4wt 4pc by pac bay or rainshadow - as a reference point it is too stiff for me. Thanks for the feedback.

That kind of surprises me. I've built 6 of the 7'6"4#'s (yah, you know how "friends" and family are!!), and I love the action on them. I know that doesn't help you out a lot, but I haven't tried a Forecast or Rainshadow I haven't liked. Have you considered a 6'6"2#? Mid range action, and very precise for the size.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've built several of the 7'6" 4 weights in 4 and 5 pieces. Everyone I've built them for have been novice flyfishermen, but they all loved the blanks. I've test cast them all and I personally like the action of the light forecast blanks. The good side is that if you build one and don't like it, you are out under $60 for the kit.

4. Default

Thanks,
    Currently using an old fenwick glass rod for these creeks (so you know the action I'm used to) but it is 2 pc and doesn't pack well. A friend has the 7 1/2'4wt 4 pc from pacbay and I much prefer it with a 5 or 6 wt line for the fishing I will do with this rod. Also I built the 6 1/2' 2 wt 2pc for friends and I like that better with at least a 3 wt line. I will give the 5 pc a try, thanks for the feedback.

I've built and fished Batson's Forecast and PacBay's Rainforest II. The Forecast is a hair faster than the Rainforest II. If (just for reference) we call medium-fast 7.5, the Forecast is about a 7.9 - the Rainforest II is about a 7.1. Sounds too analitical, but I've cast a lot of rods.

As another point of reference, I have a factory Sage TXL 3wt. It is the most buttery smooth rod I've ever cast. I think the Rainshadow II compares very closely to this rod.

I don't know if I got off the subject of the rods you're interested in, but I hope this helps.

I've built the 7'6" 4 wt in the 4 pc version and absolutely love that rod. Med. fast action, light, crisp....I really like it. I would think that if there is any difference that the 5 pc might be just a shade faster beacuse of the extra joints involved. I'd bet you can't go wrong with it, especially for the price.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

You might want to think about the 5 Piece Stowaway 5 from Cabela's! I just finished building the 7'6" #4 weight! I love mine!!! It is more of a med/fast action, and is not as fast as the Forecast blanks I have seen and built.

As a side note, Cabela's has the balnk on sale right now for #34.99. I used graphite reel seat, bambo burl grip, Fuji Concept Strippers and Pac Bay SF chrome guides. I got everything for around $85. I already had the epoxy I needed for the rod so that is not factored into the price I paid. Have I also mentioned that I love mine???

The last thing about the rod is it came in an emerald green color. The blank color with the Pac Bay green wound carbon reel seat, chrome guides and green/black braid Guidebrod thread made for a beautiful rod!!!

Just my thoughts,
    Reg

+ Reply to Thread