+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10' -- 3wt for float tube

Default 10' -- 3wt for float tube

Not going to build this for awhile...but wanna learn about it now. I am going to build a 10' 3wt to fly fish lakes with a pontoon float tube...mostly with a sinking line. Saw a comment somewhere on a 10' 3wt but don't remember where or how to find it. Trout are 8 - 24" (could be a 33", they are out there but doubt it for me) but I expect for me only up to maybe a lucky 18 someday. Being ten feet...but a 3 wt....would appreciate any comments on whether to order a tip flex/fast action or a mid flex/medium action...maybe a modulus recommendation as well..... for the fishing I want to do. Any help or advice would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim;
    As to modulus. I asked a friend that builds rods about The "New Stuff instead of IM6"? His answer was "Well, IM6 has been around awhile and is proven to be just fine".
    10' 3 wgt.!! Interesting!! I use a 9' 3 wgt. and a 6" crappie is a hoot!!
    I think someoone here once asked what size fish would you go for with a 2 wgt. The answer "The biggest one in the pond!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Jim,
    Rick Z, Has Built and fishes a 10' 3wt....As for action and type of fishing conditions one might handle,You may want to contact him.....or hang on a bit and he'll happen along in here,as he seems to lurk in and around the rod building BB a good bit...but don't we all...lol

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. I was beginning to think I wasn't goiing to get any help. Guess I was too impatient. Jack's probably right on about IM6 modulus. Personally I have never broken a rod. But, wondering about the nature of a lenth of 10' and fishing it as a tip flex or medium.....I knew someone said they used one but couldn't remember who it was. Thanks a bunch.

Gem

It may not be a 10'er,But I have landed carp up to 3' with my 7'6" Older St. Criox Legend Rod,As Chris say's It'll be your choice of tippet thats the major factor in how quick your release is.

At 10' I'd think it'll be pretty whippy no matter what,But I'd be interested in a full and highly detailed report on all aspects of such a rod myself,Especially where decent size flies are cast good 60 ft. or greater distances....

The longest Rod I own is a 9'6" Redington I built on a 7wt blank and kept everything to a bare minium on the build so I could use a 6 wt. line on it, and it has become my favorite lake rod for bass'in.

Which means in my case,Heavy weeds...as my favorite lake is completely choked with coontail and hydrilia,also tends to keep most off of it ...Fun to watch a guy trying to row a flat bottom boat with grass festooning his oars...lol...No motors allowed,Good ole'PA Game Commision Opperated Lake...Fish and Boat boys have no claws in this one....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

Bill and all. I'm not worried about breaking of the rod. Uh....I am a curious fellow. I thought I might could cast further from a float tube on a lake with a longer rod but didn't want one so big it would wear me out early in the day. So.....the 10' 3wt. I think it would be good for panfish as well. Was just wondering...with the intent of casting as far out as I can on a lake.....being a 3 wt rod....would it be just plain fun with a mid flex or.....should it be a tip flex? BTW I asked about a 10' here where I live and was advised no. 9' or 9'6 (6 wt) at the most. Well, some advise I get I take it. I have no time to re-invent what has already been done over. But, sometimes.....I hear their reply that it will not work....and my mind says....well..I don't see why not....then I gotta try it to find out for myself. Yes, I waste a lot of time (grin). But...sometimes I get lucky.

Sorry for length of post. Oh uh...yeah.....size 10 flies and smaller....and gawd PA must be beautiful in the fall.

Jim (never ten words or less)
    Arizona

If I remember right the trick to keep from breaking a rod on a large fish is to reduce the bow by holding it parallel to the water and pointed at the fish as much as possible. But my memory is not that great!!
    That could be a real trick in a float tube!

The length of the rod really doesn't effect the length of the cast. A decent caster can cast the same distance with an 8 ft, 9 ft, or 10 ft rod - BUT it takes MORE effort to stop the longer rod. Perhaps the solution here is to improve your casting, not get a longer rod?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Jim I have gone to both extreams of long rods to 6 footers while fishing low to the water from my canoe. The 10 ft will allow you to get more line off the water but they get heavy in the hand after a while especially with a sinking line. The 6ft is just easier to set up and tie on flies. You can get almost as much distance from a short rod as a long one.
    A fast action rod seems to lift the line off the water better when your so close to the water line. As for modulus, a good high modulus blank will not perform any better than a good low modulus blank. High modulus only allows the blank to be made with a thinner wall making the blank lighter in the hand... FB.

Jim,
    PA's the greatest place on earth....Especially in the fall of the year......As god as my witness,I'll be back to living there by this time next year......I love what NY has allowed me to have since coming to find her and the kids here......But this is not how I want my childeren to live and growup.....This is not how the world I know is....Sad what kids today in cities come to except as a way of life....

And Jim, The Lady is right,Longer rod does not = longer casts......Keeping thyne backcast upeth surely does...No matter what rod I use...My shooting capabilites seem not to change till I toss the line up on the back cast...

------------------

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 13 September 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 13 September 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread