+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bleeding Frog Popper

Default Bleeding Frog Popper

I haven't tied too many flies lately because I have been busy at my lathe making Christmas gifts for friends and family. I took the time to make a few to restock my boxes. This is one I call the Bleeding Frog Popper. I carved it from Balsa wood and, use markers to color it and give it a coat of glittery nail polish, add the eyes and give it a coat of two-part epoxy. I used an inline hook in the point-up position to minimize the weeds. I use the Satin Cord to make the bleeding tail. I pick at the end of the satin cord to get the center thread that holds it together, Then, I pull it out until I get the length I want. I fold the center thread back along the main cord and use a toothbrush to comb out the fibers, They naturally form this fan shape. I put a drop of water-thin CA at the base of the fan to lock the fibers in place and let it dry. I make up a number of these ahead of time to use when I want to. I make them in several colors and use them on poppers as well as streamers. https://gifyu.com/image/S8bfu

Nicer looking popper.
    Rick

Thanks, Rick. I only got into carving my own poppers earlier this year, but it is actually fun and rather easy to do. I've managed to "design" some different-looking poppers that produce well for me when fishing for LM Bass here in Florida.

Excellent looking popper Jim. I'll bet the bass love that one. Dennis

Thank you, Dennis. They're fun to make and they bass do seem to like them, especially early in the morning along the weedlines.

Looks great, Jim!I bet Snakeheads would love that as well!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thank you for the kind words. That said, I would love to find some snakeheads to find out. Jim

Default James

Have you checked your pm'?s
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Yes, thanks to you I did. I don't know why my account does not alert me when I receive a new message. It's a bit like not getting notified when I get a new voice mail on my phone. I will share the product information with his dad.Take care and have a great weekend.Jim

+ Reply to Thread