+ Reply to Thread

Thread: July 30, 2023

Default July 30, 2023

We got some rain locally the previous afternoon. I visited an urban creek. I hoped for a Longnose Gar. I saw just one, and was able to get close enough to cast to it without spooking it. It followed and ate the fly. I set the hook, and it was FISH ON. I had to manuever down closer to the waters edge in order to net the fish, and in doing so, I slipped on the muddy slope at one point. But I made it down, and the fish was still on. And then it wasn't. Not a great day of fishing, but also not a terrible one. I managed to catch 9 species:Green Sunfish, Hybrid Sunfish, Bluegill, Longear Sunfish, Shortnose Gar, Channel Catfish, White Bass, Common Carp, and Grass Carp. The Grass Carp was a fighter! It measured a healthy 30". Not huge, but good enough... probably weighed around 11 pounds.This turtle was just moseying by:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Default Nice catch

Dave,Sounds like you had a great day. Those are really sharp teeth on that Gar. Reminds me of a story. My father had a neighbor, a major in the army who was at Ft. Lewis and was from Tennessee. He wanted to catch a salmon so we took him out into Puget Sound and he caught a really nice King Salmon. He got it in, grabbed it by the mouth and hit it with the billy club. That is when he found out that salmon have teeth and it really cut up his thumb. But, he was happy, he had his salmon. Keep up with the photos and story lines. I do enjoy them.Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Thanks Larry!Yeah, really gotta be careful when we grab and unhook fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I too enjoy the stories & excellent photos. Thanks Dave. You the man. Dennis.

Thanks, Dennis!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice fish David and great photos! Enjoy your fishing!
    iaflyfisher

Thanks, Dale! I hope you're catching a bunch of fish around Ankeny!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice bunch of fish. You are do much better than I am.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    Nice bunch of fish. You are do much better than I am.Rick
    Thanks Rick! Have the rains you've gotten helped any with the algae problems?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Rain has helped the garden, but not the ponds. The last three I checked were all down from two to three feet.
    We got about 3 inches of rain and there were no puddles anywhere. Still have cracks in the lawn.
    Several farmers I have checked with say their ponds are in the same condition.
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread