+ Reply to Thread

Thread: July 2, 2023

Default July 2, 2023

We'd gotten some much-needed rain. It came down hard and fast, so despite being dry, a significant amount ran off instead of soaking in. Also, tree branches were broken off during the storm, and it knocked out our power for nearly 20 hours. Creek was a bit higher, faster, and muddier. No grass carp seen or caught.Love the blue flowers on the Chickory plants:Common Carp:Gar (Shortnose or Spotted or hybrid?)Green SunfishLongear Sunfish:A couple interesting things about these Longear Sunfish. I caught 9 or 10 of them on this day. I've fished this creek many times over the past 3 years, and have only caught maybe 3 of these total. VERY rare in this creek. Why so many today? Also, I caught one of them twice, 49 minutes apart.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

You are doing much better than I am. Nice fish. Ponds are either covered with algae clumps or the water is pea soup green.
    Pond that I went to this morning is down about three feet. White fly disappeared 3 inches down.
    Got skunked. We need a great deal of rain.
    Rick

The Longear just wanted to light up your day with their bright colors. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    You are doing much better than I am. Nice fish. Ponds are either covered with algae clumps or the water is pea soup green.Pond that I went to this morning is down about three feet. White fly disappeared 3 inches down. Got skunked. We need a great deal of rain. Rick
    That's rough conditions for fishing, Rick....even for Iowa!Is there a flowing creek or small river near you where you can find water to fish that isn't buried under algae mats?
    Last edited by FishnDave; 07-06-2023 at 04:33 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by BadBug View Post
    The Longear just wanted to light up your day with their bright colors. Dennis
    They definitely put a smile on my face. In some other places I've fished, they are so common and numerous, one might get annoyed at catching so many... But they are so gorgeous, you really can't get mad about it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice fishing David! Prety grassy and mossy up here.
    iaflyfisher

+ Reply to Thread