+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Well I just kinda went for it.....PMQ

Default Well I just kinda went for it.....PMQ

I've been working on my planing forms for awhile when I learned about 2 strip quads or PMQs (poor man's quads). Well I just sorta went for it and made a PMQ in about 4 days start to finish. I used old guides and ferrules, tung oil for a finish, and a cheap cabelas reel seat. It's a 7' 4wt. Now I can't wait to make another!

You're my hero! Good for you. I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. So do you have any links about the PMQ building?

Happy New Years

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

very very nice looking rod. Just curious, how do you set up the planing forms to build a 2 strip quad. looks neat! I have an Edwards 7 1/2' 3 piece quad that is a killer to cast with all kinds of reserve power. Wonder how they would compare? How did you do the Ferrules? are they round then quartered down in the neck?

I admire your work, really nice.

Thanks for the comments! The beauty (or some would say heresy) of a 2 strip quad is that no planing forms are needed just a hand plane (even cheap ones) and some calipers. My rod is made on sort of a linear taper based every 12"s instead of 5". Since this was an economy rod I just used some small strips of masking tape to make bushings for the ferrules and used Elmers Ultimate glue for both the rod blank and the ferrules. Like I said it's a 7' 4wt but I managed a 57' cast. All the info I got for making PMQs I got from this site: [url=http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/pmq.html:7069c]http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/pmq.html[/url:7069c]

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread