+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Minnow Immitation Jigs

Thank you for the kind words. It's a simple pattern to tie and is very effective. I spend more time making each jighead than I do tying the pattern.Jim

Nice. I just started using jigs with my fly rod last year. Being basically lazy, I've been just using pre-made jigs in 1/32 and 1/20 oz sizes. Most are on a size 6 hook. I've just done bucktail and marabou ones so far. I'd post a couple of pictures but all my photos are on my PC. I'll have to give your style a try. I like the Zonker strip tail, but I wonder if you would get better action with a soft hackle body.

That's the beauty of tieing our own patterns. We can switch up materials and styles to see what works best for us in the waters we fish. I like to find ways to give the appearance of a larger prey item without adding too much bulk. The hackle seems to do that. That said, I am a huge fan of soft hackle patterns and have some very nice long Schlappen feathers that I will try on this pattern to see how they work as simple crawfish patterns.

jim. pm me your address and i will mail you some examples of my all fur jig style soft hackles my photo abilities are terrible

+ Reply to Thread