+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smooth epoxy

Default Smooth epoxy

To smooth out the application ridges on epoxy, I've started using a hair dryer, set on low (heat and speed), held just far enough from the rod to smooth the finish. If you're too close the expoxy runs, and too far away, you blow everything on the table all over the place! Just a couple seconds as the rod rotates is all it takes.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty
    Never had that problem...got a rod on the dryer as we speak...usually 4-5 hours spinning and the finish levels it self. I use Flex Coat-both formulations. Using the lite formula on this rod (8' 5wt.)

Brad

[This message has been edited by Kaboom1 (edited 18 December 2005).]
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Betty, Thanks for the tip, got to learn a couple of new things every day or I'm not livein'.

I have used a light bulb on an extension cord as the rod rotates to get out those pasky tiny little bubbles. Seemed to work fine

couple of things about air bubbles in epoxy,,,
    1. they dont like carbon dioxide so if you exhale your breath onto it either after it is mixed or applied, the bubbles will quickly leave...
    2. mixing the epoxy up then pouring it onto a sheet of aluminum foil to let it spread out very thinly will also help to escape the bubbles.

the hair dryer sounds like a good idea for very thinly applied epoxy, just dont use a lot of heat, it will thin the epoxy down and make it pretty runny.
    another thing about epoxy is sometimes the resin or the hardener or both will begin to gel even when not mixed. Don't throw it away, instead hold the bottle or container under hot running water and it will thin itself back out. Too, holding the hardener and resin under warm water prior to mixing will make it mix better and go on easier as well with less bubbles.

Betty, the best way to get those ridges out of there is with the brush. After you get complete coverage of epoxy on your wrap, lightly brush back and fourth as the rod is turning. It takes a bit of practice, but its the best way to get the epoxy smooth and even.

Nothing wrong with using heat to help when you put the brush down, but it can be overdone. Too much heat will ruin a wrap. I've found that 98.6 degs is all you need. Take a straw and blow CO2, it pops the air bubbles and does a final "smoothing" from the combination of air preasure and heat.

Happy wrapping. Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread