+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing stripping guides

Default Replacing stripping guides

I have a G Loomis GLX Max Linespeed and wonder if the stripping guides can be replaced with something other than the doubled wire Rec Recoil guides without ruining the rod.
    If it can be done who should I look for to do it and what do you think the cost would be?
    Something about those stripping guides yell out 'CHEAP' to me and with double the surface area for the line to run through I can't help but think it's costing at least a little extra distance.

Thanks!

I'd suggest you start by asking a your local fly shops to see if they can recommend anyone who does rod repair. I suspect your might be looking at something like $20 per guide to remove the old guides and replace them. You may have a problem getting an exact match on the winding thread. I've replaced a few guides and that is the hard part. Stripping the old guide is a pain for me. Allyn

Jackster,
    Tyfliers post "getting excited now" has a link to a website/person who repairs rods, etc. You might want to check it out.

Gem

Actually, they are probably not inhibiting the line speed at all. I would agree that they look cheap, but they are very practical in all reality. The whole concept of the recoil guides is pretty cool. They are actually a little spring and when bent, return to their original shape. It shouldn't be hard at all to replace the guide and get the color to match since it is a fairly new rod and I would suggest that you talk to G loomis for the color matched thread and the epoxy that they use. If you can find someone locally you would be better off, it will cost you as much in shipping as it does to replace the guide.

I have an Orvis blank that I built recently and used the recoil guides on it. The whole rod only weighs in at 1 3/4 ounces. While that stripper looks cheap (reminds me of some of the old guides form the 50's and 60's on cheap imported rods) I like the fact that it cant be bent out of shape.

Thanks for the responses!
    I found a couple local guys (fishing buddy's actually) who can do the replacement.
    I have the REC Recoils on 4 rods but the Loomis is the only one with the double-looped strippers. Maybe (probably!) it's me but they just feel like they slow the line down.
    Loomis said changing the stripping guides would void the warranty, but only if the rod broke at the replaced guides! That's being too danged reasonable in this day and age!
    I've yet to bend or break a guide, but now that I've posted this... who knows!

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread