+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiny Craw pattern

Default Tiny Craw pattern

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]I was tying up some small jig flies on my split shot jigs and thought I'd try a tiny crawfish pattern. These jigs are made on size 6 Mustad 32500 BR jig hooks with small BB split shot crimped and glued to the 90 degree bend in the jig hook. I'm still working on the pattern but I'm trying to keep it simple since I will be casting them into rocky points and cover and expect to lose some on each outing. Anyway, I figured I'd share the prototype to get input from some of the other members.[/COLOR]

IttiBitti craw.JPG

james, they really look great. I have had my best luck with brown over orange when it comes to jigs. I also tie a sculpin olive pattern that seems to work very well on imitating small crawfish. I tie them on a jig style fly hook with a black or gray tungsten bead. its pretty much a scaled down version of a pattern I got from this website. "pine squirrel cheater" . I use sculpin olive pine squirrel for a tail with a little peacock colored crystal
    flash, heavily dub the body with the sculpin olive pine squirrel to give it a furry spikey appearance and then loop dub some sculpin olive pine squirrel for a hackle. I tie them size 8 to 14

keep up the good work

Those look very nice.
    Rick

Great colour, one we use often. These would work great under an indicator and drifted just off the bottom (I am assuming bass).

+ Reply to Thread