+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Handles

Default Wooden Handles

OK,
    Here is my first post on these boards and I am hoping some of the expert advice I have seen shared can come my way.
    I was wanting peoples opinions on solid wooden handles for fly rods.
    I am building up an 8 wt Pacific Composites blank and was exploring the posibilities of turning a wooden handle for this. I have sen several on the net but does any one have a rod with a wooden handle? If you do do you like it love it hate it. Is the handle and reel seat one piece or should I make it out of two pieces.
    Lots a questions hope you can all help.
    Cheers from Australia
    Trev

My Bro in-law made a few..gave me one I used on a rather light rod..seeing your building a heavier rod...and I do not like this handle on even a light one...heres what I've experienced with wood......

After fishing it a bit you will eventually get some water and maybe even some fish mucus on it...and well..ever have a bar of soap slip from your grip???...cause this is what happens with these beautiful...peices of art...lol...If you intend for this handle to be of the shiney smooth type...you might want to think more in terms of a wooden tip section on your cork grip...which is really only the part that is seen anyway during use..for a workhorse 8wt...I'd avoid an all wood handle...but these are just my thoughts....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Here is as nice a wood handle as you will ever see: [url=http://www.ronkusse.com/beaverkill.html:c6e4b]http://www.ronkusse.com/beaverkill.html[/url:c6e4b]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I agree with Bill.

They look nice but they do not function well. I once thought of making one and checkering it like I have done on rifle stocks, and then I thought ... why? It would be a chore to clean and still might get slippery. Cork works great as a grip. Maybe a small top and bottom section out of wood, but not for the whole grip.

------------------
    Joe

Thanks everyone for opinions and ideas I will stick with cork and maybe turn some Australian hardwood ends.
    Thanks again for p[rompt responses.
    Cheers
    Trev

JC,
    They are beautiful to look at, Thats for sure..I still have that handle on that rod...but it's a rare event that I carry it to a stream for a full day of use..I have thought of over coating a portion with a cork tape...but that I feel would just look tacky..."Even for my humble standards"... LOL

If I could ever afford to be so extravigant....I would own a Ron Kusse rod....either the Elf or a Quad of equal lenth...I've sat and drooled over each page of his site MANY times...lol...Thanks again for the rubbing em in...lol..I do need that from time to time..just so it lights the fire under my butt to save just a little more....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

For looks it wouold be gorgeous. Functionality, with damp hands, I think too slippery if it were smooth and too rough if you checkered it.
    Opinion stated withOUT actual experience. 2Cents More.
    Quinn

------------------
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

If your looking for something a little different and enjoy wood working you might try turning a handle from redwood bark chips.
    It has a lovely deep red color and a grain pattern similar to cork but not nearly as soft. Makes for a good 'non-slip' grip surface as well.

Go to the local garden center and purchase a bag of large size redwood 'bark mulch' chips. Using a hole saw and a drill press cut out circular plugs about 1/8" larger than the desired handle diameter.

Next you will need to produce a flat smooth surface on the top and bottom of the plugs. Build a simple jig for holding the plugs by cutting a few holes in a piece of 3/4" scrap lumber, fill the holes with plugs and sand them flush to top of the board with a belt sander, or slice them flat using a similar jig verticaly in a band saw with a fine tooth blade. Repeat the procces using a 1/2" thick board to surface the other end of the plug.

Now you should have a bunch of bark disks that can be glued end to end and turned to shape just like cork rings. The bark rings are harder than cork but still turn easily with sandpaper or wood files. I partucalry like using the mesh style sanding screens used for drywall, they don't clog up as easily.

I like to give the finished handle a few coats of boiled linseed oil to bring out the color and provide some protection agianst moisture.

LF that really is a beautiful rod. Most dont know it but many in the early days had wood handles. My dad had a couple in his collection. One that I remember had the turned wood and three small pieces of wood inserted, going the length off the handle. These kept the slick handle from turning while fishing. A local bamboo builder turns all of his reel seat in figured woods and machines all his metal handle parts.

------------------

Bill

I have a custom rod made by Steve Moran that has a maple burl handle and matching reel seat and I love it. As long as I wipe fish slime off my hands it never gets slippery on me. I also like the way it stiffens up the grip and eliminates the flex in it when I cast. I love the handle and the rod is my favorite. It was a birthday present to myself and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have never built a rod, but probably won't ever do one without a hardwood handle.
    For What It's Worth,
    Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

[This message has been edited by Helicopsyche (edited 22 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread