+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2nd Week of April 2022

Default 2nd Week of April 2022

Tried for Freshwater Drum again. Caught 2 on back-to-back casts again. And that was the only ones, again. Weird.

Tried for Grass Carp again. Caught 2 small ones and 1 bigger one (34", ~ 15 lbs), and lost another large one after a good battle.

Also caught a small bass.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice catch Dave. Those two Drum must have warned the others you were there.

Dennis

Well Dave,
    ANOTHER grand report! Getting jealous with all the weed whacking and stuff going on around here, and NOT fishing. Have you ever pestered any of those very rare cross fishes they call "bass drums"?
    ....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s View Post
    Well Dave,
    ANOTHER grand report! Getting jealous with all the weed whacking and stuff going on around here, and NOT fishing. Have you ever pestered any of those very rare cross fishes they call "bass drums"?
    ....lee s.
    Is that the sound-room devloped hybrid between a saltwater Kettle Drum and a Bass Guitarfish? An aquaculturist's mashup between rhythm and tempo? You can really feel it when you hook into one!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wow Dave!

That one grass carp was a "pole bender" for sure!
    How do the Drum fight?
    They have a lot of surface area that would seem to give them so good leverage - and fairly good sized tails too.

I think the only ones of those I have caught were long ago on conventional gear. But I seem to recall them being fun.

Great overall day it looks like

JD

Quote Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
    Wow Dave!

That one grass carp was a "pole bender" for sure!
    How do the Drum fight?
    They have a lot of surface area that would seem to give them so good leverage - and fairly good sized tails too.

I think the only ones of those I have caught were long ago on conventional gear. But I seem to recall them being fun.

Great overall day it looks like

JD
    Drum give a good accounting of themselves. Last year I was using a 6wt on them, and the fights were amazing! Such strong fish! This year I've been using an 8 wt, and the fight is still good, but definitely shorter now. If you try for them...try them on a 6wt...you will be impressed! And I recommend 12 lb fluoro tippet to ensure they don't break you off.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread