+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking out loud

Default Thinking out loud

Once upon a time, there was a discussion board thing that happen here every so often. I was never a fan of sitting typing replies, since a lot of my work was sitting typing reports. I'm not a fan of text messages when I can get better results with a call in less time. So I wasn't a big part of that thing. But, not there is Zoom and other things like it. Would that be something we could do no cost where we could chat with each other. Does anyone else find the thought appealing?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

A very good idea, using Zoom. I am not sure how a link to a particular Zoom meeting would work by being posted here, guess we could try a copy/paste and see if the link remains active, otherwise we would have to copy and paste the invite link, but that is doable also.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I looked last night and found I had a Zoom site connection software on my computer but not the software to initiate a meeting. More research is required.

Blog Entries

The basic Zoom is free. One person simply creates the account with Zoom, then sets up a meeting time and date and copies that invite and sends it out to the people they want to invite to the meeting. The main problem with that free system are the severe limitations. The length of the meeting being the biggest issue. If memory serves me right you are only allowed something like 45 minutes to conduct the meeting. There are also restrictions on the number of people who can attend, but the main problem is the 45 minute factor. By the time everyone actually gets logged in and all the problems are worked out (No visual and or no vocal) you have eaten up at least 30 minutes of that meetings time limit. Zoom does this so you have to sign up for a paid account. Since they are a private company, I can't say that I blame them.

There is another big issue to consider. When to have the meeting? This group is nation wide. That covers four time zones and more if you factor in Hawaii. So if you want the meeting during the week and say at 7 PM Pacific time, that makes it 10 PM Eastern time, so that is a no go. 7 PM Eastern makes it 4 PM Pacific. People who are still working will not be able to fit into that time slot very well. So, have it on a weekend, like a Saturday. That sort of eliminates the time zone problem.

I guess before anything is actually set up for these meetings, we should find out if anyone else is interested?

Any takers?

Larry ---sagefisher---

I'd do it - maybe alternate times ?

9 EST / 8 CST / 7 MST / 6 PST one time

10 / 9/ 8 / 7 the next time

We'd have to plan some content - topic to discuss ahead of time but I am sure you guys have something in mind already.

I'll be ready for whenever!

JD

I've never known a fisherman who didn't have something to say. First time out, we could just get to know each other. Personally, there is one person on the BB I have ever met in person. A couple I have talked with and swapped text messages.

Good idea on changing the start time around.

+ Reply to Thread