+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help picking out my first rod to build

Default Need help picking out my first rod to build

Can anyone help me pick out my first blank and other material and tools from [url=http://www.jsflyfishing.com:3612d]www.jsflyfishing.com[/url:3612d] (I would like to order from them because I already have an account there). I am looking for a 4wt. from 7ft to 8ft preferably under $200. I do not know what tools to get or other things. There is somebody in my Fly Fishing club willing to help me build.
    Thanks

Why don't you start by going through the How To Build Your Own Graphite rod series here on FAOL? It gives you the tools you need and tells you how to pick out a blank. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/:a2c11]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/[/url:a2c11]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Irondragon13;
    I just finished a Forecast 7.5' 4pc 4wt. (H&H)
    Just waiting for the wind to go down to do some yard casting.
    First print Al Campbell's rod building instructions in "Features" it will give you a good idea of the tools you'll need, very few!
    There's a couple of video's floating around out there that may come your way when other's read you post.

Keeping the kit under $200 should be easy to do. The big question is what kind of action do you want? If you like a moderate action, the Forecast kit is a great value. If you want a little faster, go to the Rainshadow. Either of these 2 were offered from you supplier. If you want a fast action, get in touch with Dan Craft. His stuff has top end performance, and it is priced wonderfully. He can help you with any questions you might have as well. Keep in mind that these are only my opinions based on the products that I have tried.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 13 November 2005).]

I like the moderate actions. Ol'blue is this the kit you were talking about: [url=http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/RK-010302-0000:1f6e4]www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/RK-010302-0000[/url:1f6e4]
    And does this kit have everything else I need: [url=http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OR-001090-0000:1f6e4]www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OR-001090-0000[/url:1f6e4]

irondragon13;
    I think you've nailed down all you need to build a rod. Now let me ask you some questions.
    1 - Do you have clean, well lit work place?
    2 - Can it's access be limited to others?
    Good Luck

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

That one would probably work. The 7-8' blanks in 3-6 weight in the Forecast line are some of my favorites. I've never ordered from that supplier, but you can get the Forecast line anywhere. You might also look into any other options that you might want, like single foot ceramic guides, inletted cork, or a different color wrapping thread. BTW, for about the same price as the kit and the finish package, you can get the same kit and finish and add in a video from Hook and Hackle. Plus you have the option of getting the blank in multi-piece for about the same price. The prices listed are 33% off if you order online.
    Also, for your first rod, you can get by with a box, a couple of books and a coffee cup. I used a box with v-grooves and my fly tying bobbin on mine. I just let the bobbin hang off of the edge of the table, and that weight was enough to give adequate tension. The only tool that I really recommend at the beginning is a burnishing tool. It is just a little $3 plastic tool, but it really is nice for packing your thread.
    Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions. I'm always happy to share an opinion as long as everyone understands that it is only my OPINION!

Oh, yeah. The only other things that I can come up with is a roll of masking tape, a razor blade or 2, CP if you want it, and either a pen or a decal to identify your rod.

irondragon13;
    ol' blue's got it! I do use the elastic thread to tie down the guides as in Betty Hiners post
    One nice thing about H&H is being able to swap out components. Bob is a great guy, he even replaced a guide I'd lost at no charge!! Vaccum ate it!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I will look at H&H but this project might be put on hold if our house sells and we have to move.
    Thank you for the info,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread