+ Reply to Thread

Thread: G. Loomis IMX Pro

Default G. Loomis IMX Pro

I am considering buying an Imx pro 9? 5 weight, possibly a 9.5?or 10? 5 weight.

Looking fir an all around rod, dry, dry dropper mostly, but able to pull nymphs or swing a wet.

Do any of you have experience with this rod or the Loomis company fly rods ?

Tk

Might want to put this on the general discussion forum, too.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - No experience with the rod in question; I do have a Loomis 7’ 3 wt that’s nice.
    Last edited by ScottP; 08-28-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Lightbulb Liking Loomis

In 2013, I was gifted a Gloomis 9' for 4wt StreamDance by a fellow BB member ( thanks, again, Karli ).

It is by far the best fly rod I've fished, out of somewhere around 10-12 over the years, to include rods by Powell, Sage, Winston, TFO and Hexagraph. Ninety percent of my fishing is dry only, no droppers. I do use a TFO BVK 9' for 5wt from nymphing and streamers.

The StreamDance is no longer available, but the rod you are talking about is, probably, in most regards something of an advancement from that model.

The StreamDance is a fast action rod with a rather soft tip that is very light in hand, is accurate closer in and can really rip the line for some distance. As far as "backbone" goes, I've landed a 36" B-run Clearwater River steelhead with this rod. Nuf said.

The only issue with my rod has been a somewhat fragile tip section. I've broken the tip section twice. Fortunately Gloomis has had a no-fault warranty replacement policy which gets you a brand new rod for $100 including shipping. That policy may or may not still be available - worth checking it out on their website for the model you are considering.

Hope this helps.

John
    The fish are always right.

Never used a Loomis but you should consider the longer length rod depending on rivers fished. Longer rods help with casting and line control as more "stuff" hangs off your leader.

I have a 10', 5wt. Loomis Streamdance that I purchased in 2004. It handles nymphs, soft hackles, dries and small streamers and has been used by both me and my son from the Eastern Sierra to the Madison, Yellowstone, and Delaware Rivers:

It is one of our favorite fly rods...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    you should consider the longer length rod depending on rivers fished. Longer rods help with casting and line control as more "stuff" hangs off your leader.
    Unless you’re Lefty Kreh and can cast an entire fly line bare handed, while cracking jokes with an audience.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Unless you’re Lefty Kreh and can cast an entire fly line bare handed, while cracking jokes with an audience.

Regards,
    Scott
    Lefty was the best "righty" caster in my life time. He could do amazing things casting at the shows and outdoors

My go to rod now is a 15ish yr old Sage XP 9’ 5wt. Love that rod.

(If I could find one of those in a 9.5’ or 10” without having to refinance my retirement, I would)

I have been told, the Loomis would be a good candidate. At just under 900 large, it’s no small buy for me.
    Yes, I have cast one in the “parking lot”, but that’s just not the same as on a river dredging nymphs or placing a size 18 dry just right in a seam. Most rods I’ve cast are great parking lot casters, I can generally hit the target on asphalt or grass.

SCG

Consider building a rod, either customized with materials of your choice or purchase a kit from Hook and Hackle. Great folks to deal with and I believe a sponsor of this forum. Best wishes

Thanks all for the responses ,belatedly.

Please excuse my manners.

I ended up buying a Scott Centric. It’s faaaaast, never thought I would say it, but maybe to fast. A great rod for heavy nymphing.

SCG
    Last edited by stcroixguy; 10-03-2021 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread