+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loop knot for flies

Default Loop knot for flies

Do you guys use a loop knot to attach your fly to the tippet?

I have just started using this knot, seems to give the fly a little more action if it?s a nymph. Possibly a better presentation for dries.

A very successful guide I fished with recently will only use a loop knot to attach a fly.

Perfection loop :
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDolG7dHtQ

I use this one
    Non slip loop:

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_kno...slip-loop-knot

Scg

clinch knot for me

Blog Entries

I want NO amount of slack between my fly and my fly line. Can only create the possibility of tiny amount of slack when landing a large trout. Any slack provides an opportunity for a large trout to break off or wiggle free.

I use a rapala knot when fishing the jig style flies it goes back to my crappie fishing days the loop gives the fly/jig more freedom of movement and perhaps helps you catch a few more fish

I use the non-slip loop knot for streamers and saltwater flies. I use a clinch knot for trout flies other than streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by tpat View Post
    I use the non-slip loop knot for streamers and saltwater flies. I use a clinch knot for trout flies other than streamers.
    I use the non-slip loop for my baitifsh patterns I throw at smallmouths. I use the clinch knot for my deeper fishing flies, nymphs, etc.

I always use a loop knot that Lefty Kreh taught me when I met him at a show I was tying at. I mainly fish subsurface patterns, but I also use the loop knot for poppers and sliders.

Jim Smith

I'm a Davy Knot kinda guy. I fish mostly small backcountry streams with tiny caddis or terrestrials so it's nice having a compact knot. Its quick and easy to tie as well, just make sure to cinch the knot on top of the tag end!

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/davy-knot
    Glad I can whip finish because I sure as hell can't double haul...

Quote Originally Posted by wyoflyschmidty View Post
    I'm a Davy Knot kinda guy. I fish mostly small backcountry streams with tiny caddis or terrestrials so it's nice having a compact knot. Its quick and easy to tie as well, just make sure to cinch the knot on top of the tag end!

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/davy-knot
    THANK YOU!! My eyesight & old fumble fingers make an improved clinch a major issue. I will certainly print & tie the Davy this weekend. My best fishing buddy Jack is 86 & I'll show him too. Watching Jack & I tie improved clinch knots is a comedy!

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Haha glad to be of assistance! Clinch knots are just such a pain not matter how nimble or eagle-eyed you are. I was beside myself when I learned that clinch knots weren't the only way to catch fish.
    Glad I can whip finish because I sure as hell can't double haul...

+ Reply to Thread