+ Reply to Thread

Thread: missing a guide

Default missing a guide

A couple of years back I built a rod on a Dan Craft Sig. V blank. 10 ft. 8 wt. 3 piece rod. I really like it too. I wwas supposed to be going Steelheading tomorrow with it. Due to other circumstances I had to cancell the trip, but may have had to anyway. Thursday night when I checked the rod over I found the first guide below the tip top missing. Looks like it just backed right out from under the thread. If I can find a guide to match I can hopefully just mix up a bit of epoxy and slip the foot right back in place. I've made this repair before with good luck. Problem is finding the right guide. I've sent an e-mail to Dan Craft and haven't heard anything from him yet. It is a black or gunmetal color single foot guide. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Never mind. Did a little digging and found Dan's number. Gave him a call and he's sending me a guide. Super customer service.Thanks Dan

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Rewrapping the guide would be a more permanent fix.

If you do end up rewrapping the guide (and I personally would think that's the best way to go), try using a forhan wrap to secure the guide [url=http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/forhan.html:f002d]http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/forhan.html[/url:f002d] . That would prevent the guide from working its way out from under the wraps again.

Satchel, may I ask if you used color preserver on the wrap before applying the epoxy?

Color preserver prevents the epoxy from penetrating the thread and making as good a glue bond between the guide and the blank. If you do use color preserver coat just the thread and try not to coat the metal or the blank and get a build up at the edge under the metal where the guide foot exits the thread so the epoxy can get in under and in front of it to help bond the foot to the blank.

A wrap like the one SG pointed out will also help.

------------------
    Joe

thanks for the tips fellas. I did use color preserver and you evaluation makes perfect sense. I think I'll just go with the Epoxy fix this time and then at some later point might rewrap all the thread work on this rod.

------------------

I forgot to put the second last guide on my DC 6wt for two years....never had a problem.
    (finally decided to do it...mostly because I thought that might be the "good luck charm"; it wasn't)
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

+ Reply to Thread