+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corncob reel seats

Default Corncob reel seats

The cover of a woodworking magazine caught my interest. It had an excellent photo of a pen with the sheath made from a corncob. It looked fantastic. The article had more 'how to' photos and instructions about construction and dyeing. Anyway, the pens looked great and I was just wondering how this might work as a reel seat?

Allan

Allan
    Would that be going against the grain?
    Some builders would probably turn a deaf ear to the idea!
    Some will say it's worth a go and there's a kernal of truth to it.
    We're likely to hear that drolfson and garrett have cornered the cob market, them being Huskers and all.
    Sounds like a Yin/Yang thing for some...corn on the hook and a cob under the reel.
    Would you still have to stalk your trout or just your rod?
    My brow is getting too furrowed just thinking about it.
    BTW what woodworking mag was it?
    Thanks
    mcsteff

Which mag? I make wooden pens and that sounds interesting. I'm guessing that you have to do something to stabilize the cob.. epoxy is what's usually used for punky wood.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

The latest issue of RodMaker magazine has an article on casting in polymer resin. I would think that might work well and add some durability to the corncob.

The magazine is:

Woodturning Design.

Allan

Thanks!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

The blank it's self would add a good bit of stiffness to the cob,And I'd have to think one could make a pretty niffty reelseat with them.

As you'd be able to hollow out the cob to fit the blank perfectly without any need for tape or whatever,To build an arbor,after staining or whatever means chosen, A thin coat of epoxy sure would'nt hurt....Sounds quite interesting I must say.

And if pithy cork can be used,Why not another of natures Pithy material's,Prolly alot stronger than cork, Lighter as well.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 10 September 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Yes making corncob reelseats under polyester resin was covered in Rodmaker. This has got to be THE magazine for rod builders interested in charting new territory with new ideas and techniques. I can't imagine not subscribing to it. It would be cheap even at a hundred bucks a year. But don't tell them I said that!

Okay, guys. As mentioned, I am here in the cornhusker state, and live in the midst of corn fields. Now is corn season too, so if you are going to be looking for good dried cobs, let me know and I can sell ya some for a good price!

They are starting to harvest, and that chews the cobs up pretty badly though, so I'd have to make a nighttime raid prior to the local field being harvested. Or at least hit the corners of the cut fields while on a walk with the dog.

I can just hear my wife now: "WHat's in the sack? Corn Cobs. What for? Trading them for some flies. So, you backwards fly fishers DO work on a barter system! I knew it!"

Don
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread