+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new 6'6" 2#

Default new 6'6" 2#

This is a H & H kit discussed in previous posts.

I started off with a 2lb leader since a 2# seemed so light but after breaking off fish I went to a 4# leader and had no more probs. There is plenty of strength in the blank.

I went with varnish for the wraps ( about 5 coats) and had no probs. This was made to be "Mossburg" not a "Browning Satorus". It casts a 3# line very well with 30ft not a prob even with my casting skills.

Catching fish with your own flies AND doin' it with your own rod is as close to eroitc as you can get in a state of full dress

Thanks to all who have offered advise, the next one will be wood handle and seat >>>> and maybe a reel twist.

zzdruid;
    Sweet! Nice job & nice fish!! And I see you went with a Pfluger Medalist reel. I like their option of adding weight in the reel. I got to test mine out over the Holiday weekend and love it. One of the drag/clicker cams expolded while I tried to adjust it!? Didn't seem to bother anything though.
    How do you like assembling single foot guides? I'm worried that my fingers won't be up to the task!
    I also have a 3 wgt. and may just try the reel on the 2 wgt.
    I also see you were fishing from a boat and I've been led to believe that you need long rods for that! Hmmmmm, another myth shot down!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Blog Entries

Way to go! Good Idea with the varnish.

Tyflier;
    Thanks for the tip, got dentist appt. comming up I'll get a supply.
    zz;
    Did you thin the varnish? And, what brand did you use. This sounds like the best way to get around mixing epoxy, my last batch took a week to dry!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I used minwax polyurethane although I think a spar type varnish would be better ( more flexible and designed for exterior/harsh conditions, totally dry in 12 hrs but develops hardness over several days). I did not thin it and it wetted the wrap vey thouroghly. It looks good to me but I tend to be a minimalist type guy.

to hold the guides i cut a strip of masking tape 1/8 by 1 inch , wrapped the first 1/2 of the guide , removed the tape. i did put 3 to 5 wraps infront to the single footer.

The reel is inexpensive but i've had a 1495 ( i think that is the right number) for 25 years and it is great. this one is the smallest pleuger and cost `$25.00 at Hook and Hackle. I'll probably turn the drag pauls off entirly. don't think i'll need drag on 10 wide streams.

Thaks for the compliments, I will never BUY another fly or spin rod.

BTW: the 2 wt with a #3 line casts very well in tight spaces,ie>

your rod looks great, a 2wt is my next build. I have a collection of H&H im6 rods now, 4 or 5,.I have been using single foot guides and Cabelas prepackaged epoxy, its good stuff and the premeasured packages are great!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread