+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeaky Guides

Default Squeaky Guides

I have two rods with Fuji stripping guides that squeek when the line passes through the the guides. One is so loud that it sounds like the breaks on a freight train. I know that it is caused by loose ceramic rings and that I can temporarily fix it with an application of low viscosity super glue.

My question - Is there a more permanent fix without replacing the guides?

Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help, but I know some ferrule makers use a special locktight adhesive for permanent connections in nickle silver ferrule construction, it is designed to replace silver soldering.

Perhaps the locktight folks could recommend a product that would work for a long term repair...

I just ran across this problem with guides that were always quiet before.
    The problem started and ended with the fly line. The usual method I use to clean line involves simply laying it out on the floor and then passing over it with a soapy dish towel followed by a swipe or two with a clean rinse water.
    I tried another method of soaking the line in a tub filled with warm water and Ivory bar soap bubbles. The line seemed to get too clean and squeaked and sqealed when shooting line. The remedy was going back to the old method. The squeaks reminded me of the same squeak you get from a super window washing.

They make line dressings that slick the coatings of lines....even the so called new lines that supposedly need no dressings....I still dress them after each use...amazeing how much crap builds up on these lines that don't need dressing.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread