+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get "cheap" blanks

Default Where to get "cheap" blanks

For my birthday i got a rod building kit from cabelas, i have built one rod before, but it was a school program. since i am only 16, and my pay check comes from haying every once in a while, i was wondering where i could get some nice blanks, that are around $100

Thanks

Check out H&H. I bought a kit that was 40% off, came to 70 bucks with shipping. I've got enough epoxies left to build 3 - 4 more.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

For top notch blanks under $100 bucks check out Five Rivers (Dan Craft). If you prefer a more moderate action IM6, Baston makes some very nice blanks in thier Rainshadow line, plus they are a sponsor.

Check out Janns Netcraft they have some very cheap glass blanks under 10 bucks. Hook and hackle's Forecast blanks can be had for under $30 and Dan Craft blanks are about the best you can buy most selling for under $100. Also keep an eye out for closeout sales at blank dealers web sites... FB.

I'd vote for Hook and Hackle. Since we have been customers, I get an email with close-outs and specials all the time. Some really great bargins! Yes, they ARE a Sponsor here.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

personally, I'd go w/ a dan craft blank.
    I've got two (1wt and 8wt) and wouldn't hesitate to get another. big time bang for your buck.

I'll also say that I have heard nothing but great things about hook and hackle, though I've never cast one of their blanks/rods.

H&H is great, Craft is great but don't rule out Elkhorn...great blank at a good price....

all of the suppliers mentioned sell inexpensive blanks that you will be please with...It really helps to know exactly what you want to build to fish with and the kind of fishing you will be doing....

Did some surfing in H&H's catalogue. Bob has some kits in there for under $60.00!
    I also looked at individual parts prices and it appears that the kit with all the parts may be cheaper.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I recently completed a Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece rod (blank cost only $30!) I love it's action and would favorably compare it to my St. Croix Avid. The fit and finish is not as fine as the more pricey blanks, but with a little polishing and final fitting it looks just fine.

Thanks everyone, will will check both sites.

+ Reply to Thread