+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Shakespeare Wonderod

Default Broken Shakespeare Wonderod

I have an 8 ft. 7 wt. Shakespeare Wonderrod, circa 1963, given to me by my father. Besides the nostalgic value, I like its slow action.

I loaned it to a friend. He tried to yank a fly that was stuck on a rock...and the rod snapped above the ferrule that joins the two pieces.

I wrote to Shakespeare but didn't hear back.

I took the rod in to our local fly shop (a very good one, they have earned my trust).
    They are going to send it out to their rod builder. One option is to cut the rod and make it smaller--it would become a 7 ft. 7 inch rod. Second option: some kind of splicing.

Does anyone have thoughts on this, or things I should ask when they come up with a final idea/estimate. thanks, learner

The Shakespeare Wonderod was one of my first rods. Brings back memories!

I remembering repaiing mine. It didn't separate and the fracture was not at the ferrule. I just wraped the fracture with matching color thread, coated the thread with epoxy and it was fine.

I don't know how much the repair will cost or how much it will change the feel of the rod. Problem with the feel is, you wont know until after you've paid for the repair.

I do see them on ebay. You might want to take a look there. I just noticed several listed. Not exactly your model but you might find it interesting.

------------------
    Joe

Learner, it is a shame that the rod was broken because of the sentimental value it represents and the fact that you enjoyed fishing it. If the repair doesn't work out, I know somone that has a bunch of the wonderrod blanks that may have the section that you need to get back to full throttle.

Leo

Dear J.Castwell, Joe, and Leo: Thanks for your responses. I'm waiting to here from the fly shop. Leo, special thanks for the possibility of a rod blank if needed. The tip didn't actually break off and maybe they can use the method that Joe has explained. bill

I have a 3-piece Wonderod that I broke setting the hook on a lily pad. It broke just above the ferrule on the tip section. I removed the broken end from the ferrule and then epoxied the remaining section of the tip into the ferrule. Several inches of the blank above the break were badly splintered. I did not cut this part off, I just wrapped over this section with white silk thread and coated this with a low-build epoxy finish, which made it virtually invisible.

Honestly, I didn't expect this to work, but I have been fishing the rod this way for over 10 years and it is as good as it ever was. The important thing is to preserve as much of the length as you can. I think I lost less than 2 inches.

Thanks, Gadabout, I may try this. The flyshop deems the rod unfixable, buy your idea has great merit to me. learner

+ Reply to Thread