+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New fly suggestion; your feedback requested.

Default New fly suggestion; your feedback requested.

I have a fly that has worked well in Clear Lake, CA that I hope you can try. Marabou tail, 3/4 length of shank. Add a bit of flash if desired. Main body; loose dubbing of MS Bugger from Fly Tyers Dungeon. This has 1 inch fibers and hundreds of thin, very alive rubber strands. For bigger body, more of a streamer, tie in short bunches almost like a hitie. Use some velcro to brush fibers out, especially if you dubbed. Use weight if desired for deep, but will almost hover if no weight used. I tie in olive,green, brown and black. If long marabou tail isn't working, pinch it short and fish as a dragon fly. Bulky and brown look like a sculpin.
    Last edited by mcfish; 03-23-2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: make darker

Sounds really good! Do you have some pictures of it you could post?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Not the best photos, and the green maribou tail is curled under; but the body size and rubber legs show well. I don't have a photo of an articulated extension, but they really add to movement. sorry, no photo; I guess I don't know how to add a photo
    Last edited by mcfish; 03-22-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Needed to add comment, no photo

FlyTyersDungeon.com has several videos of flies that are similar. See KRAP nymph/streamer, the streamer section. AlsoNK Leech and the twin tail MS Bugger. The only real change is to use marabou tails, especially if you use the articulated rear shank. His videos show techniques much better than I can describe. I like wide gape hooks if tied full to puch water; if slimmer or sparseryou get more leg movement and regular streamer hook works OK.

Dave

hard to read your post very faint font can you make it bolder... could be me but the reply s are darker / normal
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 03-22-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Steve, the original post is mine, and it is faint. i don't know why as I tried to make it darker/bolder. If you highlight it as if to copy it becomes readable. I see from your info that you are in Yosemite area? Maybe as the virus stuff gets better we can meet in between; I'm in Auburn. Do you know Salt Springs Valley Reservoir near Copperopolis? It's a good bass/warmwater spot

A hook about the same size as no. 10 scud hook, wrapped with green Easter basket hay with a green rib of a strand wire from an electronic device, peacock herl and deer hair. Sorry about the angle it was 90 deg. to the right on my computer.
    IMG_0290.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread