+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat differnt tying material

Default Somewhat differnt tying material

I am posting this pattern more to show a different tying material than to show a new pattern. This is a weighted streamer pattern I've been playing around with and I think the body material has good potential for many applications. It is a type of metallic eyelash yarn that provides some nice flash as well as several different colors. As I mentioned, I think this material could be useful in a lot of patterns. You should be able to find it at most Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns Fabrics etc. Just thought I'd share. Metallic Ribbon Fly.JPG

Jim Smith

Jim,

That stuff creates a very neat effect; thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I have to much stuff now.

OH A NEW MATERIAL I MUST HAVE.

Rick

Good looking stuff. I was browsing in a JoAnns Fabric the other day and noticed that they are discontinuing some of the item I have used in the past. So, I went to Michael's. They are till about the same for product inventory, especially with the storage container items. However, I noted they none of them are carrying the Copic airbrush air cannisters. Apparently Copic is discontinuing the 180 Can that I had been using. Same thing on line. I guess they want you to buy the small air compressor that they are now pushing for over $100. Disappointing. Still have a complete set of Copic pens, but noticed that they have changed the shape of the pens. Never ends.
    God Bless America

Jcampbell,

My wife does a LOT of artwork as a hobby so I always have access to her markers which number in the hundreds. That said,
    I am very interested in learning more about your airbrushing. Do you mainly paint poppers/sliders or are there other applications that you use the airbrush/compressor for?

Jim

James,
    I primarily used the system for painting poppers. However, it can be used for many art projects I am sure. I have accumulated dozens of Copic pens over the years, but can't find the compressed air cans anymore. Guess I will eventually buy one of those small air compressors. That said, I put a base coat on and then use various templates for additional design marking on the bugs. I'm not good at it, but the fish don't seem to care. I always cut the hole for the rubber legs before I do any painting. Legs will be one of the last things I put on. I make the bass bug size and the bream size from the pre-cut stock I purchase. Oh, my wife reminded me that I have painted some stenciled labels for her. That justified my purchases.
    God Bless America

Thanks for the followup. If you have a Facebook account, there is a group called the Brotherhood of Custom Crankbait Painting that you might want to check out. They do AMAZING work and one of the rules of the group is that is you post a photo of one of the baits you've painted, you must also tell the colors in order and any other pertinent information about the paint job. You will most certainly learn from them as well as get some great ideas for the poppers you paint. Just a thought...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I am posting this pattern more to show a different tying material than to show a new pattern. This is a weighted streamer pattern I've been playing around with and I think the body material has good potential for many applications. It is a type of metallic eyelash yarn that provides some nice flash as well as several different colors. As I mentioned, I think this material could be useful in a lot of patterns. You should be able to find it at most Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns Fabrics etc. Just thought I'd share. Attachment 15458

Jim Smith
    Looks good. It's probably sold for twice the amount of money in the fly tying world as some kind of chenille.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Thanks for the followup. If you have a Facebook account, there is a group called the Brotherhood of Custom Crankbait Painting that you might want to check out. They do AMAZING work and one of the rules of the group is that is you post a photo of one of the baits you've painted, you must also tell the colors in order and any other pertinent information about the paint job. You will most certainly learn from them as well as get some great ideas for the poppers you paint. Just a thought...

Jim
    Jim,
    Checked the site. Far too Sophisticated For me. These guys are serious!!
    God Bless America

They are amazing arn't they. I am not interested in becoming a lure painting artist, but I like to learn from lots of different places so I can pick and choose ideas that work for me.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread