+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something other than a fly pattern

Default Something other than a fly pattern

I shared this on a FB group and thought I'd share it here as well since I know many people do not frequent FB.
    Like many folks here, I am always on the lookout for different materials to use at the bench, either for tying flies or for making the process easier. A number of years ago, I "discovered" a material called Super Floss by Oral-B. This is a floss used by people who have permanently installed dentures and need to get the floss underneath them to floss. This material has a stiff nylon end to facilitate that process followed by about 4 inches of soft spongy, absorbent material. This product is absolutely the very best solution I have found for those times when a bit of head cement or UV epoxy gets into the eye of a hook. When that happens, I simply insert the stiff nylon tip through the eye of the hook and make a quick swipe with the spongy material. In less than ten seconds, the eye is completely clean and you're back in business. I keep a piece of this material tied to the stem of my vise so it is always handy. No more stopping to find a small feather or any of the other old solutions. It costs about $2 for a package of 50 of these Super Floss strips and each strip lasts me a year or more. Just thought I'd share something that I have found very helpful at the bench.Super floss.JPG

I'll 2nd that....been using it for years and works great.

more often than not, i have the remnants of a hackle feather hanging around the tying area to clean out any hook eyes of head cement

I used bits of feathers for a number of years as well, but I found times when I had emptied my trash trough and was tying with other types of materials than feathers and I found myself looking around for a tip of a feather to clear out an eye with head cement in it. I bought this floss to use and when I saw it, I immediately thought "I wonder if that would work well for cleaning out the eye of a hook???" I tried it and it works so well, I never looked back. If you want to try it, PM me your address and I'll drop a couple of the Super Floss pieces in the mail and let you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I shared this on a FB group and thought I'd share it here as well since I know many people do not frequent FB.
    Like many folks here, I am always on the lookout for different materials to use at the bench, either for tying flies or for making the process easier. A number of years ago, I "discovered" a material called Super Floss by Oral-B. This is a floss used by people who have permanently installed dentures and need to get the floss underneath them to floss. This material has a stiff nylon end to facilitate that process followed by about 4 inches of soft spongy, absorbent material. This product is absolutely the very best solution I have found for those times when a bit of head cement or UV epoxy gets into the eye of a hook. When that happens, I simply insert the stiff nylon tip through the eye of the hook and make a quick swipe with the spongy material. In less than ten seconds, the eye is completely clean and you're back in business. I keep a piece of this material tied to the stem of my vise so it is always handy. No more stopping to find a small feather or any of the other old solutions. It costs about $2 for a package of 50 of these Super Floss strips and each strip lasts me a year or more. Just thought I'd share something that I have found very helpful at the bench.Attachment 15422
    Jim,
    You'll never change...always the innovator!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

MIke, It's really great to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. I'm almost semi-retired so I have a bit more time to play at the vise and yets my twisted mind always comes up with different ways to use materials at fly tying. I hope that you and your family are doing great and that you have a wonderful Christmas.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread